Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 09-15-2009, 02:40 PM

Default 5mm Moly bullet mold?

I am adding a 5mm Craig conversion to my arsenal and have been reading lots of info on this board. During my searches, I have come across this picture a few times:

Does anyone have any info on where I can get one? I think I read that it was a group buy a while back. Anyone willing to part with one?

Thanks!

--Tony
Old 09-18-2009, 04:02 PM

TONY. are you looking for a 5mm cast bullet mold????
Old 09-18-2009, 04:03 PM

Default Yep!

Looking for the one that made bullets in the pic above. Got one?

--Tony
Old 09-19-2009, 04:37 AM

I don't think they are moly, and I am not really thinking they are 17 Cal, just because they are in a 17 HMR box doesn't mean much. Larry
Old 09-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Supporting Member

Tony this is a pic that I posted and yes those bullets are made with the 20 cal bullet mold.

It all started with Wild Bill W who sent me some bullets to try out and eventually some of us got together and made a group buy from Lee….

That’s Wild Bill right there… He has done some fine mentoring to me on several things! Although I didn’t get him in the pic I recognize the shooting bench to the right and that darn guy has cost me some $$ as well!!

Those in the pic are mollied and my records show that I shot them at speed up to 2680 fps not knowing any better that they can foul a barrel pretty bad… I did not know if you are suppose to molly cast bullets but it seemed like the right thing to do and they shot pretty well for me, making head shots on squirrels

I didn’t do anything with mold for a looong time and finally one day I tried it and was not impressed, air pockets and slow going was frustrating. probably would have sold it today but a while back I decided to melt down some tire weights and while I was at it thought I would give it a try.

learned a few tricks since the first time and even though I had some mistakes made some really nice looking bullets. Have not took the time to shoot them yet for accuracy. After running them through my tumbler they really shined up!

Wish I can help ya out but keeping my mold for now… Maybe a call to lee and if a group buy is needed there may be others willing to go in with you especially with the price of bullets today…

Apologize for the 17 cal box, being the cheap guy that I can sometimes be I use them boxes a lot, also if I don’t get back right away with any replies it is only because I am not able to drop in as much right now for the next month or so. Best of luck!
Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 AM

Default Thanks!

Yes, that's the mold I was looking for. Since you don't want to sell it, maybe I can convince you or someone with this mold to cast me about 50 rds? I figure that would be enough to work up a load. Then if I like it, I will see what I can do to find my own mold or try and setup another group buy.

I would be willing to pay for the lead, shipping, and your time

--Tony
Old 09-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Supporting Member

I will be glad to help you out but not sure how soon I can do it, may be end of Oct time frame because of a busy work (and family) schedule??? Send me an e-mail with a shipping address and I will see if I can work it in sometime before that (might be something one of my kids can do for me….)
Old 09-20-2009, 02:50 PM

Default That works for me!

I'm fine with that. I am heading to Steve Schroeder's place this morning to check the headspace on my new Craig conversion. I still need to buy my reloading equipment, I sold all of mine many moons ago!

I will email you tomorrow with the info you requested.

Thanks!!

--Tony
Old 09-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Supporting Member

Cool, ask Steve if he has the 500 HP engine in that Corvette....
Old 09-21-2009, 02:33 AM

That engine was still on the stand LOL!! I passed your message on to him and just laughed. I ended up buying his bolt head once I saw it compared to the Craig version. He helped me get it all setup and measured and dialed in. i picked up some brass, a funnel, etc. I should be shooting in the not to distant future.

--Tony