Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 01-09-2013, 02:32 AM

Default Lead alloy for bullet cores?

I was wondering if a fellow could use an alloy for bullet cores instead of pure lead? I made a press to make lead wire and I think it would work with an alloy since I have so much lead that has tin in it.

Just trying to use up some of this lead that has tin in it an save some of my pure lead for more important things.

Bob
Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 AM

BadgerBob, A fellow can use lead alloy safely under certain conditions, but complying with those conditions is critical. One mistake and you'll crack a $250 die. It's difficult to list those specific conditions, but in general the thicker and harder the walls of your dies are, the safer it is. Too, if there's any steps in the die, such as a reduction that includes threads, that will be a potential fracture point. Too, the bullets will have some spring back as an alloy has more 'memory' than pure lead. This requires dies built to handle that specific alloy so that the finished diameter of the bullet is what you desire. You say you make your own wire: you'll find a tremendous difference in required pressure to make your alloy wire as compared to pure lead wire, and if you measure the OD of the product you'll notice a difference in size. Also, the nose form of your bullet can effect the ease of forming it using an alloy, either as being in a jacketed core, or as a plain alloy bullet. Lastly, there is a problem knowing what the BnH of your alloy is. What is 'Hard'? Do you have the resources to, say, control the BnH between 14 to 15? The bottom line is that I recommend that you use your alloy to cast bullets, or use it for trade goods, and only use pure lead (BnH5) for swaging. If you didn't special order your dies to handle alloy of a certain hardness you'll always have the threat of a broken die hanging over your head, and probably will be making sub-caliber bullets.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS1 View Post
BadgerBob, A fellow can use lead alloy safely under certain conditions, but complying with those conditions is critical. One mistake and you'll crack a $250 die. It's difficult to list those specific conditions, but in general the thicker and harder the walls of your dies are, the safer it is. Too, if there's any steps in the die, such as a reduction that includes threads, that will be a potential fracture point. Too, the bullets will have some spring back as an alloy has more 'memory' than pure lead. This requires dies built to handle that specific alloy so that the finished diameter of the bullet is what you desire. You say you make your own wire: you'll find a tremendous difference in required pressure to make your alloy wire as compared to pure lead wire, and if you measure the OD of the product you'll notice a difference in size. Also, the nose form of your bullet can effect the ease of forming it using an alloy, either as being in a jacketed core, or as a plain alloy bullet. Lastly, there is a problem knowing what the BnH of your alloy is. What is 'Hard'? Do you have the resources to, say, control the BnH between 14 to 15? The bottom line is that I recommend that you use your alloy to cast bullets, or use it for trade goods, and only use pure lead (BnH5) for swaging. If you didn't special order your dies to handle alloy of a certain hardness you'll always have the threat of a broken die hanging over your head, and probably will be making sub-caliber bullets.
+1 on that. Also even if you don't crack a die using lead that is too hard over time can bulge a die and it could loose it's critical match.
Commercial swaging dies might only have .0005 or less diameter difference between the Core seater and the point former . When you add some wear also to it you don't have to bulge the core seater much to have a bad ejecting point former in a short time .
Also press leverage is an issue and must be up to the job.
Also calibre and ogive radius is an issue and as the diameter goes up and the ogive radius gets longer the pressure required to swage goes up exponentially add harder alloy and it makes it even worse quicker .
Cores that are approaching too hard for a die and press sytem can also suffer from inconsistant core seating . You think you have got a normal seated core but it can fail to fill out the base of the jacket properly .

Last edited by J. Valentine; 01-09-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:14 AM

Thanks fellows, thats why I asked first. After I made my wire swag it just got me thinking, sometimes that get me in trouble if I don't ask first.

I found that if I heat up the cup part of the die it makes it much easier to squirt the wire out. I can make about 10-15 pounds an hour depending on dia. wire I'm making. At the price of lead wire I figure it time well spent.

Bob
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM

BadgerBob: Pure lead really isn't the most desireable for cores. I'd suggest a .5% (half a percent) to 1% antimony mix to harden the core material just a bit. There are several reasons for this.

For what it's worth...... -Al
Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 PM

Another option is to trade the alloy for more pure lead. Casters are usually looking for alloyed lead and if they have soft PB they are looking to trade.

Neal in AZ
Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 PM

Default Alloyed cores?

Hi
I think Ted Smith warns in your manual to use only pure lead because you run the risk if bulging your core seating die resulting in loose cores in finished bullets.
Also, looked at the elk you guys got in CO. Nice one!
Bye,

Bill
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
BadgerBob: Pure lead really isn't the most desireable for cores. I'd suggest a .5% (half a percent) to 1% antimony mix to harden the core material just a bit. There are several reasons for this.

For what it's worth...... -Al
I use 1/2% antimony. I visited Hornady two weeks ago and they had 3 different lead options on hand. Pure, 3% and 5% IIRC.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 AM

What would be the advantage to using 3 or 5% alloy? Or are there disadvantages to them? It would be no problem to mix either.

Bob
Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 AM

They are only a tiny bit harder and cores made from the .5% seems to flow just a bit smoother to me. Most guys making BR bullets use the .5% I think.

I would think that the 3 and 5% are for heavier game bullets since they will be harder and slow down bullet expansion.