Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-29-2006, 04:44 AM

Question Best .17 cal Cleaning Hardware?

Folks,

I'm getting a new 17 HMR. I've done a search, so forgive me if this is old hat to you, but I'm interested in your suggestions for barrel cleaning equipment.

1. What is your preferred 17-cal cleaning rod for a 20" and 24" barrel?

2. What brushes/jags do you use?

3. Which is better, female vs. male-ended jag in terms of minimizing crown damage?

4. Does anybody produce properly sized fabric patches for a 17. Right now I'm trimming .22 patches?

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-29-2006, 06:41 AM

Default Not exactly what you asked for, but…

I have a Marlin 917VS .17 HMR and I’ve been cleaning it with a bore snake. I shoot about 75 rounds before I start feeling stiff bolt lift and then it’s time to clean. I spray some Hoppe’s Field Cleaner on the snake and pull it through two or three times.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Supporting Member

Default OK by the numbers...

1. I have about four different rod manufacturers in my position and the Pro-Shot brand I like the best.
2. All my rods have female ends thus they use male jags and brushes.
3. Can’t imagine what difference male or female end would make to crown damage.
4. Can’t help you there I make my own patches.
Larry

Ci SENIOR I'm all grown up now!.

Last edited by Larry in VA; 12-29-2006 at 09:10 PM. Reason: This post just made me a SENIOR!...
Old 12-29-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Vote 2 for Pro-Shot

I really like them, have several in different calibers. Pro-Shot does make 12 cal patches, they are about 3/4" square. If you want to make them yourself, use the 30 cal patches and cut them through the middle in both directions. I did that until I found some 17-specific patches.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Supporting Member

I like my Pro-Shot SS rods, but if you can get ahold of the stainless steel version of the Dewey rod (not the coated one), that is what I would recommend. The one I have has been super.

I have a couple of Neil Jones rods--very pricey--and I'm not impressed with the handles. They don't seem to want to allow the rod to spin in the handle. Also, they don't make a rod in the 36" to 38" length--only longer ones and they have a tendency to want to bend on me when I get a rod that is WAAAAY longer than my barrel. The 36" to 38" lengths work just fine in my 24" and 26" barrels. Can't help you on the 20" barrel, but if you could find a rod that is perhaps 30" long, that might work best in your 20" barrel???

I have used a variety of brushes, both bronze and nylon. The best nylong brushes I have used have been the Montana Extreme brushes.

All my patch jags and brushes have male threaded ends on them because all my rods are female. The brands of jags I use are many--but mainly Bore-Tech, Pro-Shot, and J. Dewey.

The bronze brushes I use include many brands also--Midway, Tipton, Sinclair Intl. and J. Dewey. Besides the MT Extreme nylong brushes, I have used Pro-Shot nylon brushes too.

I usually buy commercially produced patches. For the .172 caliber I use a lot of 3/4" square patches from Bore-Tech, MT Extreme, and Tipton. I also cut one corner off of the 1 1/8" patches and use in my .17 Remington barrels. I have also been knows to cut the 1 3/8" patches in half, diagonally and use in the .17 Remington.

Don't forget to purchase and use a top-quality rod guide.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Silverfox; 12-29-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:02 AM

Thumbs up Thanks--this is very helpful

Thanks guys for all the good advice.

Looks like it will come down to a Pro-Shot stainless or a Dewey. My smith also said he likes the Tipton carbon because it doesn't take a set or get kinked. But he said the handle had to be modified to work right (he recessed the bolt at the end of the handle).

Interestingly when I talked to Dewey today they recommended their coated 36" with pistol length brushes. I asked--wouldn't an all-stainless be stronger. The rep said no because they use the same diameter rod for their uncoated as coated--hence one is just as strong as the other.

I have a Lucas rod guide, so that should be good.

I guess I have to decide about coated vs. uncoated. 36" seems the right length for a 24" barrel.

I'll try the 3/4" square patches but I suspect I may have to trim 'em a bit.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:47 AM
Supporting Member

-Yo- If you put the spear tip of your patch jag in the patch off center a considerable amount, those 3/4" patches will easily fit in you .172" barrel.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-30-2006, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Yo- View Post
Interestingly when I talked to Dewey today they recommended their coated 36" with pistol length brushes. I asked--wouldn't an all-stainless be stronger. The rep said no because they use the same diameter rod for their uncoated as coated--hence one is just as strong as the other....I'll try the 3/4" square patches but I suspect I may have to trim 'em a bit.
That's an interesting bit of info about the diameter of the rods as it's counter to what Sinclair says about them. I'd believe what Dewey says.

I have read through some threads on the rimfire benchrest forum over on BRC where the consensus seems to be strongly in favor of polished uncoated rods.

I've been very happy with the Pro-Shot 3/4" squares and the Brownells 7/8" round patches. No trimming needed in either case for me. (I'm pretty sure it's a Pro-Shot spear jag that I'm using.)

Another vote for the Montana Extreme nylon bore brushes. And I think the last batch of bronze brushes I bought was a dozen pack from Sinclair that turned out to be pretty good. The price was good if I remember right also.

I've been using the Tipton rod, but I have the opposite problem from Silverfox, it's just too damn short. I wind up just an inch or two from the bore guide before the patch comes out. I was going to try one of the Neil Jones rods, but I might have to reconsider after Silverfox's comments. BTW, I'm also on my second Tipton as the tip came off the first one. Supposedly some solvents were dissolving the glue used for the tips. I haven't had any problems with this one and they replaced the first with just a phone call--didn't cost me a nickel. However, I have noticed that some of the later Tipton rods that I've bought have the tips mounted crooked. So, I've gone back to Dewey for the time being. I only wish that BoreTech weren't so flaky.

I like the idea of the pistol length brushes. I'll have to get some of them. It is a challenge to get a brand new bronze brush going down a .17 caliber bore with the skinny little rod. You probably don't need the extra bristles anyway, just a bit to knock the carbon out of the corners of the rifling.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:41 AM

Default If you can get your hands on a Pro-Shot

carbon rod. Brownells has them from time to time, very good rod. They are listed as a 20cal rod. I got one formy 20. It fits 17s also. I love the Brownell's 7/8 patches. They seem to fit in my 17s the best. I aslo like the Dewey jags. Get a few the little tip breaks real easy with the slightest bump, but they hold a patch real nice.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:29 AM

3/4'' patches from Pro-shot are the cat's pyjamas. No need to trim when using Pro-Shot 17 Rod and spear jag. Also Pistol Brushes are the ONLY way to clean a 17 in my opinion. No flexing of rod, hence no throat damage. It makes the job just like cleaning a 222. Cheers!