Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-02-2014, 09:36 PM

Smile Temp insensitivity

is part of the selling point of those new IMR powders. They are direct competition to the Hodgdon Extreme line of powders.

Granted... for varmints at normal distances the old line of powers work fine. Stretch the distance out and the value of having a temperature stable powders comes to light if you want to make first round hits.

Barrel nodes... Don't hurt to have that bullet going the same speed your barrel likes best as well.

Load work... Ever worked up a load in the winter or early spring and by the time summer came you were blowing primers and ruining brass??? This another good reason to use temp stable powders vs the old IMR's.

Your welcome
Old 12-02-2014, 10:00 PM

Default New Powders

Interesting, in that I thought Hodgdon's now owns IMR and markets both brands. If not who does ? Bill K
Old 12-03-2014, 06:17 PM

Default New Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
Anyone know what these new IMR powders are about? Saw two different cans at the local store but no info. Label indicated a new technology.
It appears that the main difference is that the new powders have the "Copper Fouling Eliminator" component added. Like CFE223 has.
Bob
Old 12-03-2014, 07:31 PM

Default New Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambob View Post
It appears that the main difference is that the new powders have the "Copper Fouling Eliminator" component added. Like CFE223 has.
Bob
No new.. 748 and some others have had it in them for years. All marketing new reloaders, etc. Bill K
Old 12-04-2014, 04:04 PM

Yep - just like W760 and H414 are the same powders as are H110 and W296. different label, different name. Seems to me the Reloader series are re-branding of the older Norma powders as well.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:13 PM

Default Powder Re-branding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Yep - just like W760 and H414 are the same powders as are H110 and W296. different label, different name. Seems to me the Reloader series are re-branding of the older Norma powders as well.
I've been wondering for the past few years just how many of the powders we're buying are almost like, or identical to the ones we have been using. Different "lot numbers" of the same powder with a new number or just re-branded like Norma- Reloader series? I guess it's all about marketing but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Bob
Old 12-06-2014, 07:38 PM

I think IMR has been slow to move to the temperature insensitive powders, let alone cleaner burning. IMR, Hodgdon and Winchester powders are all owned by the same company, that may have been part of it. I switched to Hodgdon powders because they have extreme powders. If the accuracy is still there, all the better!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Bob
It's Tin.
Used for @100 years in artillery.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I've been wondering for the past few years just how many of the powders we're buying are almost like, or identical to the ones we have been using. Different "lot numbers" of the same powder with a new number or just re-branded like Norma- Reloader series? I guess it's all about marketing but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Bob
Norma dont make powder, Bofors does them all.
Norma
Rhino
Alliant
Rottweil
Old 12-07-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenthief View Post
Norma dont make powder, Bofors does them all.
Norma
Rhino
Alliant
Rottweil
O.K. I did not know that. Just goes to make my point even more. I have some old 2015 powder that was made in China and some that was made in Israel or at least that's what it says on the label. I know we get a lot of powder from Australia that is repackaged and re-labeled. Are the Australians making it or are they getting it from somewhere else and re-labeling it? The only powder that I think I know for sure that we make are the Winchester Ball powders made by St. Marks in Florida. They show ten different numbers.

Bob