Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-20-2014, 07:00 PM

Fairly sure it will clean up. Larry

Old 12-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Supporting Member

If I could find ammo for the 17WSM I'd redo one of my Martinis in a heart beat.
The martini action either a model 12, 12/15 or a International would make an awesome 17WSM and the work to convert one would be less than converting one to centrefire.

But the problem down here (New Zealand) is that there is no ammunition for them that I've found.............Kiwi
Old 12-20-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
If I could find ammo for the 17WSM I'd redo one of my Martinis in a heart beat.
The martini action either a model 12, 12/15 or a International would make an awesome 17WSM and the work to convert one would be less than converting one to centrefire.

But the problem down here (New Zealand) is that there is no ammunition for them that I've found.............Kiwi

Not to worry, when they figure out that it isn't selling well here, they'll take the surplus WSM stuff to Australia and dump it on their market. Just like they did with the WSSMs and other stuff Americans rejected. Since it's just a relatively short boat trip away, you might see some then...................
Old 12-20-2014, 09:45 PM
Supporting Member

With Hornady offering 20 grain ammunition with their name on it next year (no matter who makes it), it will probably be just a matter of time before it hits your shores.

Eric
Old 12-20-2014, 10:54 PM

Is a typical 22lr firing pin hit good enough to properly ignite the 17WSM? Or is it a firing pin movement routine?
Old 12-21-2014, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
17WSM is at 33,000, same as the 5mm Remington Rimfire Mag.

Eric
Eric,
I'm sure I read somewhere that the 5mm Rem. Mag. operated at 38,000 psi and not 33,000. I can't lay my hands on the information right now. Perhaps that was the "proof" load.

Bob
Old 12-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennlasher View Post
Not to worry, when they figure out that it isn't selling well here, they'll take the surplus WSM stuff to Australia and dump it on their market. Just like they did with the WSSMs and other stuff Americans rejected. Since it's just a relatively short boat trip away, you might see some then...................
American Eagle branded 17WSM just hit the market now as well:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=459325492

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
Is a typical 22lr firing pin hit good enough to properly ignite the 17WSM? Or is it a firing pin movement routine?
With my CZ to 5mm rimfire conversion, we had to beef up the firing pin spring to give consistent strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambob View Post
Eric,
I'm sure I read somewhere that the 5mm Rem. Mag. operated at 38,000 psi and not 33,000. I can't lay my hands on the information right now. Perhaps that was the "proof" load.

Bob
33k is the number. I don't know about proof loads, but perhaps you are thinking 38 because the original ammo was 38 grains?

Eric
Old 12-21-2014, 07:28 PM

Whomever has one on a cheap h&r do you like it? And how does it shoot? Just curious. Not a huge fan of single shots for coyote and fox but if things were cheap enough it may worth the effort for more neighborhood areas. Also anyone know how loud they are compared to the hmr? I feel like noise is the biggest factor. All my shots are safe directions the noise is what pisses off the neighbors. Not trying to jack the thread. Apologies if that's what I did.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 12-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Supporting Member

Win 1885s in 17 HMR have been converted to 17 WSM as well
Old 12-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
Whomever has one on a cheap h&r do you like it? And how does it shoot? Just curious. Not a huge fan of single shots for coyote and fox but if things were cheap enough it may worth the effort for more neighborhood areas. Also anyone know how loud they are compared to the hmr? I feel like noise is the biggest factor. All my shots are safe directions the noise is what pisses off the neighbors. Not trying to jack the thread. Apologies if that's what I did.
I hope some owners of one will reply, but IMHO it is basically a velocity thing. It will be louder than a 17hmr due to the extra velocity, and it will be less noise than a 17HH, again due to the lower velocity. Sound is based on velocity and barrel length ( in the range's we are talking about), although barrel length will only reduce the "shooter sound level" not the neighbor's sound level.

Allen