Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-21-2008, 08:39 PM

Question Remington Extractor problem

Hi,

I have a new Remington 7 CDL in .17 Rem Fireball with an extractor that occasionally slices into the case head - preventing the bolt from closing.

I have cleaned the chamber thoroughly and the bolt face - to no avail.

Can the extractor be removed and polished ?

Any suggestions ?
Old 12-22-2008, 01:55 AM

Default rem bolt ext problem

There is no need to remove the extractor.
The edge of the extractor needs to be polished /beveled so that it does not interfere with the ext. jumping the base of the brass.

Simply with a dremel or foredom tool and a polishing (gratex) tip blend the edge of the extractor to the edge of the bolt nose.Be careful not to hit the bolt face and only bevel where needed.

Chris
Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 AM

Thanks, I'll try that today, provided my hands are steady enough - which is why I was asking whether the extractor could be removed prior to polishing.

Here's another general, related, question from this newbie: when a bolt is fully forward and about to be cammed down, i.e. the bolt face is engaged with the case head and the ejector button is fully depressed - is the cartridge supposed to rotate together with the bolt as the bolt is locked down ? The reason I ask is that I had the same slicing extractor problem with unfired empty cases - which have a slightly flared mouth; but the problem was eased when I put the cases through the neck sizer die. So, I'm thinking maybe the slightly flared mouth of the cartridge is fouling the chamber wall - resulting in the cartridge not turning with the bolt when being cammed down ?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:15 PM

The case does not turn in the chamber when the bolt is locked down. The bolt face must turn against the stationary case head.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
The case does not turn in the chamber when the bolt is locked down. The bolt face must turn against the stationary case head.
Thanks, that eliminates one duff theory.

I had a go at bevelling out the extractor edge but have still got the problem.

I noticed that if I use the tip of a screwdriver to push in the extractor under the rim of the bolt face it jams there and it takes a bit of jiggling to get it to pop back out again. Is this normal ?

Anything else to try ?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:54 PM

Default Remington Extractor Problem

It sounds like your problem is related more to the sticky extractor than to the bevel at the lip. You could try using an aerosol cleaner or penetrating oil to loosen whatever is making the extractor sticky in the bolt face. Spritz and use that screwdriver to jiggle the extractor around. Try to flush out whatever is making the extractor stick. If you can get it freed up, lube lightly with your favorite medium viscosity gun oil. This procedure worked recently for me on my M700 .221 Frireball.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 PM

I have just tried lubing the extractor but still no joy.

Finally I decided to remove it by gently prising it out. It popped out very easily, maybe too easily, and then used a Dremel to smooth out the sharp edges on the extractor.

Putting the extractor back in was also very easy as it seemed to deform to a smaller diameter on insertion into the bolt face recess. So, I think the basic problem is that the steel is not temperered properly and is just not springy enough to hold it's shape.

Looks like a new one is needed.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
I have just tried lubing the extractor but still no joy.

Finally I decided to remove it by gently prising it out. It popped out very easily, maybe too easily, and then used a Dremel to smooth out the sharp edges on the extractor.

Putting the extractor back in was also very easy as it seemed to deform to a smaller diameter on insertion into the bolt face recess. So, I think the basic problem is that the steel is not temperered properly and is just not springy enough to hold it's shape.

Looks like a new one is needed.

Thanks for all the replies.

Bad Wolf it is bad practice to reuse a Remington extractor once you remove it from the bolt. I believe any Remington mechanic will tell you the same. If you took out the extractor you need to replace it with a new one anyway. You can look over the new one and do any tuning before you install it.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk View Post
Bad Wolf it is bad practice to reuse a Remington extractor once you remove it from the bolt. I believe any Remington mechanic will tell you the same. If you took out the extractor you need to replace it with a new one anyway. You can look over the new one and do any tuning before you install it.
Thanks. A new one is on it's way - though it may well be delayed due to it being Christmas. I'll smooth over the edges before installing.