Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Question Max Pressure for .17 Rem Fireball ?

For the .17 Rem Fireball, Quickload gives Pmax (MAP) as 58,740 psi, whereas the Chuckhawks site indicates that the SAAMI maximum average pressure (MAP) is 55,000 psi.

Anyone know, for sure, which is right ?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/17Fireball.htm
Old 01-01-2009, 05:40 PM

I DO NOT KNOW... however, since most guys don't mind chambering it on a Contender so i'm guess i'd lean more to the 55k max...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Supporting Member

Here is some more info that will confuse you, consider the following pressures of these factory cases: (Per QL info)

221 Rem F B CIP PSI max = 46412
222 Rem CIP PSI max = 53664
222 Rem Mag CIP PSI max = 58740
223 Rem CIP PSI max = 62366
223 SAMMI Piezo max = 55000
5.56 Nato max = 58740

All these cases have the same head size within a couple of thousands of a inch. As we all know, the first thing that shows any signs of trouble is the primer pocket area, ie leaks, expanding primer pockets, blown primer pockets etc.

Without sectioning all the above FACTORY case heads to see if there is any great DIFFERENCE in construction of cases, and not known the tempering spec's of EACH CASE, why is there such a BIG DIfference in pressure rating??? Other than POWDER load amounts/data set by the factory spec's etc.

Why not take 223 Rem factory cases, form them into 221 cases and shoot safe loads to 62366 PSI, there by making BETTER LOADS ?????? regardless the pressure of the ORGINIAL FACTORY LOADS loaded at 46412 PSI.

The differance between these 2 pressures (+ or -) is equal too about 203 FPS in that load, all things being equal, the difference is quite a bit when thumping varmints! More to ponder about..............
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 01-01-2009, 08:21 PM

I think the pressure specifications on the ammo are set mainly for the gun makers to design their actions to proper strength levels. What the case will withstand has mostly nothing to do with it. I would venture to say that a lot of hand loads that are used are far above the SAAMI pressure specs if there are any for the round. Larry
Old 01-01-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvreloader View Post
Why not take 223 Rem factory cases, form them into 221 cases and shoot safe loads to 62366 PSI, there by making BETTER LOADS ?????? regardless the pressure of the ORGINIAL FACTORY LOADS loaded at 46412 PSI.
The problem is that you don't know when you reach 62366 PSI unless you have pressure measuring equipment or pressure-tested loading data from a manual that goes up to that pressure.

If the published data only goes up to 55,000, the SAAMI max, then all you know is that you have exceeded 55,000 but not by how much. And that is only in the .223 Remington. Even if published data exists that is tested to 62366 PSI, you are still flying blind after forming the case down to .17 Fireball. All you can know is you have exceeded max, not by how much.

Western Powders does publish high-pressure data for some 20-caliber wildcats. When I first noticed the pressure, I sent an email inquiry and got a response from their chief ballistics guy:

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1928