Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Supporting Member

Default Rem 17 fireball

Reminton produces them in Sps. Will this caliber fade way? I dont reload so I may have to order a few rounds?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:58 PM

IMO, the 17 FB is a classic and will stay, despite the lack of support from the main manufacturers. It's a brilliant cartridge, go buy one and check it for yourself.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Supporting Member

This caliber "is" fading away. Fantastic round , commercial flop .
When it first came out there was no brass or ammo and what there was in ammo was expensive (as it all is), typical Remington slack job on introduction. Watch how Hornady is handling the Hornady Hornet, they have their poop in a group! If I didn't reload I'd look long and hard at the .17 Hornady Hornet over the .17 Fireball and I love my Fireball.
Any reason ya don't or can't reload? If a guy just goes cheap as most originally did it's a way to save money on ammo so ya can shoot more, nothing to it.
Just a thought.
P.S.
If I didn't reload and had a .17 Fireball I'd stock up on ammo at every opportunity. I'm sure they will continue to produce it for a long time but as demand drops and production goes to one run yearly the price goes crazy. Seen it before with a lotta great rounds.

"WAIT ONE"!
Having done this before as memory serves and with this thread shaking my memory tree , I just called Remington Corporate at 1-800-243-9700 and got to general firearms information. I told the lady I'd heard the .17 Fireball was going to be discontinued and was that true? The nice lady on the phone stated "Yes. The .17 Fireball has been discontinued at this time".
Slowly remembering my last go round with this I encourage those that don't agree to call that number and see what the person that fields your call says, right hand frequently don't know what the left hand is doing at Remington sad to say. For me that's the second time they have told me that and having heard it doesn't sell for beans from all my gunshop friends I am gonna believe it. RIP .17 Fireball .

I know there are still .17 Fireball rifles on their website and I'd lay money they stay there till they clear out inventories but having been told that twice now I'm gonna choose to believe it.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 PM

I know the remingtons web site show's the 17 fireball in in the sps's, but I just checked out remingtons 2012 catalog and it does not show and 17 fireball in the any of the sps models. Maybe a little further investigation is required, it does however show the ammunition. I know for a fact that the ammo is usually 29.99 for a box of 20. Midwayusa shows the ammo out of stock, but backorder ok. I dont want to deter you, I just wanted to give you the facts. I would get one if you have found one.

I have a 17 fireball and love it, its a great round. I dont know why it isn't more popular, probably remingtons fault with there marketing.

It's been a while since I figured it out, but if memory serves me right it was around .20 cents a round to reload.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Supporting Member

I agree with Andy on getting one cause it's a great round, should be some killer prices on rifles soon if there ain't already too!
As for your future shooting it however that deserves some consideration. If $1.50 + freight per round (or maybe more in the future?) is a number you can live with no problem, I fear that's above my pay grade . If reloading "is" an option ya wouldn't have to load many with the savings there would be from $1.50 a round + freight to pay for a real basic setup to make your own ammo. If reloading is out and the buck fifty per is a chocker I'd again mention the Hornady Hornet cause that ammo is selling around $16. and change for a box of 25 as opposed to 20, or $0.68 a round plus freight per round. Any way a guy cuts it it's a fairly spendy deal if ya don't reload and shoot much.
Sure hope I ain't coming off as a prophet of doom and raining on yer parade, sure not my intent .
Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Default 17fb

This is why I recently purchased 700 pieces of brass.

Greg
Old 04-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Supporting Member

This caliber is a keeper, it will be around for a long while, i see quite a few posts on multiple forums about reloading, etc for it.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacoyotecaller View Post
This is why I recently purchased 700 pieces of brass.

Greg
I got a few more than that . It is a keeper and by my reckoning I got all the brass I'll need till the end of time (that's the end of "my" time actually, all I care about strangely enough ).
Old 04-05-2012, 06:38 PM

Default I dont want to hijack this thread,but...

albertacoyotecaller

did you get a chance to see the last post on your thread about your 17 fireball
Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Montdoug,

I have about 1k total. That should be enough for now!

I will go back and check the post.

Greg