Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 AM

Default Anyone with a FACTORY REMINGTON 17 FIREBALL!!!!?

If anyone here has a factory chambered Remington in 17 Fireball, I would like for you to fire a "factory" round of Remington's ammo and measure the fired case length and get back to me. I just don't think that a case that measures 1.400 should be 1.412-1.415 after the initial firing!!! My VSF was returned from Remington with note that said they "finish reamed, polished chamber, and polished muzzle(whatever they mean by that!!) and replaced trigger group". Still too much stretch in brass for one firing and accuracy still not up to par. And that damn X-Mark Pro trigger is junk as far as I'm concerned. Just wanting the measurements so I can reference other REMINGTON FACTORY CHAMBERS when I speak to them. Thanks, Charlie (GHD)
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 AM

How many thicknesses of masking tape can you put on the case head of a new factory round and still close the bolt? I have found factory brass to be quite short but do not have a factory chamber. I do have a reamer I would loan you, so if you want to have a local gunsmith pull the barrel and cut a thread off you can have him make the chamber any length you like. I think you have exactly what I would expect from a factory chamber.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:15 AM

i have a factory chambered remington model 7 in 17 fireball. i just went and measured 5 fired factory remington brass and got 1.408 to 1.413. this is from a rifle that shoots .200 to .300. if the rifle shoots it's because of the barrel. my load consists of remington brass fully prepped and weight sorted. 25g v-maxes with 19.4g ramshot exterminator. i believe it was around 3900fps.

why are you so worried about the chamber?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:15 AM

Charlie, I have a M7 Predator but unfortunately have no factory ammo. I wonder if you were to do a chamber casting that that would answer a lot of questions and give you a reference for dealing with Remington. I wish you luck, Dave.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 AM

Charlie,

I did buy the same rifle from the same place as you, but have yet to fire it. If you can wait approx one week, I will have the info for you.

Ken
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 AM

Oneshotkyle, The reason I am questioning the chamber length is because after one firing the brass is longer than the the listed maximums for the cartridge (1.410) and after the second firing it is 1.421-1.424!!! That is .024 growth in two firings. I think brass life will be extremely short with this kind of growth. One of the cases split yesterday on the second firing at 1.419. My other FIREBALLL (CDL-SF) will be 1.408 after 5 firings with neck sizing. And the accuracy of that one using 19.3 grains of AA 2230 at 3967 is consistently under 1/2 inch. NeveR shot any Exterminator but have heard it is the same powder as the AA2230 with a new name. GHD
Old 10-22-2012, 02:12 PM

Default factory 17 FB chamber

had a Rem 17 FB, cut the chamber off and rechambered in 17-222- 0 freebore.
I dialed the lands in front of the chamber, moved out and checked the chamber.
Not only was it large in diameter and too deep, but crocked as heck to boot. The good news is it now really shoots .4 and better. Barrel was good, chamber was terrible. sgtg
P.S. Groundhog Devastation: still stretching brass gotta be too much headspace. anyway good luck to ya sgtg

Last edited by sgtg; 10-22-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM

I checked some factory Fireball ammo that I had shot in my Rem 17FB before it became a 14. They measure 1.405-1.408 at the first firing. I think I would find someone with FB headspace gages, it sure sounds like headspace.

Bob
Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 PM

Well Charlie, I feel bad cause I was the one that told you the gun was at the store... and even "helped" pick it from the two in stock... So - my vote is rechamer it or rebarrel it to 20 Vartarg. Once you get it shooting all this will be a distant memory!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 AM

Ken, No way you should feel bad!! You knew I was going to get another one and you just happened to find it. My friend Mark has another one of the CDL-SF Special Editions in the box and if this one doesn't come around I'll move it on down the road and get that one. He's keeping it until this one is either a "go" or "get gone"! NOT YOUR FAULT!! And if one of ought to feel bad about something it is me for sending you where I did for that 6BR! GHD