Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-03-2013, 09:09 AM

Default rimmy misfire

Went out the other evening hopeing for a bunny soft enogh to stick his head out of the too tall crops long enough for a headshot cause i wanted a rabbit stew.
And would you believe it one did at fifty yards the zero range of my Annie 1451 lr and for the first time ever in my rimfire shooting life i had a missfire and either the movement of my hand re-bolting or my curse of bl+++y bar steward he was gone and that was the only one i saw that night.
I have had many lr,s over my shooting life started with a bruno then a annie 54 single shot target rifle that was so heavy it never moved on the shot then a Marlin to name but a few but this is the first missfire i have ever had .
how about you.
Wally
Old 08-03-2013, 01:52 PM

Default REM Ammo....

I lived close to the Remington facility in Lonoke, AR where the 22s are made.
They used to be THE BEST ammo! Not any more!

Over the years, thousands of rounds (millions, probably) were shot at the Anderson Minow Farm in snake a turtle population control. Mr. Anderson would buy a pallet of Remington 22LR ammo in the Spring and locals could pick up ammo and roam the levies shooting the minow-eating critters! Never had or heard of ONE miss fire!

Remington quit making such quality ammo and Mr. Anderson started using poison on the snakes and turtles. The poison polluted the water system and it is now rare to see a snake or turtle not only at the farm, but in Bayou Meto or any of the old oxbow lakes anywhere!

Sad!

Bill
Old 08-03-2013, 05:39 PM

Tried most brands of ammo especialy with a different gun but always went back to Eley subs but will be trying another brand soon due to the stupid boxes Eley use. Wally
Old 08-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Banned

Default 22s

Remington rim fire is crap! I got all the Winchester 22 magnum ammo I could get my hands before they moved the rimfire line to Mississippi. Now Win rim fire ammo has got pretty bad! Thats the reason Im not buying the new 17 B-mag. I only by CCI rim fire ammo now. CCI still does a good job!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 AM

I get a few miss fires most nights, but then I usually go through 2 to 300 shots each night when I'm working, my job, I reckon the best a bloke could have, is as a professional rabbit shooter. It bugs me when it happens, but I just eject them and get on with it. The ammo that I use is Winchester 555 bulk ammo, don't know if its made here or in the states. Its nice and accurate in my CZ453 Varmint, and that's the main concern for me.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Banned

Default 22s

Around here lots of Winchester 22 magnum ammo has gone back to Wal-Mart because of misfires and badly split cases! Remington 22lrs lots of misfires!We shoot lots of rim fires down here and most shooters go with CCI or the Federal 50gr. in 22 magnum. In 22LR its CCI Mini Mag or SGBs.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Supporting Member

I would be willing to bet the quality will get worse before it gets better. with the manufacturers running full tilt trying to get ammo back on the shelves, I can only speculate that quality control is not up to snuff............

Aaron
Old 08-04-2013, 04:56 PM

I have some Remington Thunderbolt from the early 80’s and it is about 1 in 10 misfires. I use the ammo while target practicing for hunting with a center fire. With all the real misfires it teaches to not be surprised and just clear and shoot again.

Get some good out of the ammo being bad.

Mark
Old 08-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Cracked necks, misfires and bullets stuck someplace in the barrel are just everyday events with 17HMR ammunition.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Supporting Member

Default Wow

You guys must shoot way more rimfire than I do, I think I once had a split neck with my 17HMR, but never misfires or bullet stuck in barrel. Is not most rimfire ammo in the states manufactured by CCI?
Stan