Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-18-2015, 08:01 PM

Default Another 580 Rem, idea

Hello, first post here. Just got activated. I have read all I could find, and digest on 580 Rem, centerfire conversions. I know there is not much left to invent, or re-invent for that matter, but I can not seem to find answers. So if I may ask for help, and information?
How about a 580 in 218 Mashburn Bee sort of anyway, but based on 30M1 carbine brass, but with a 40 degree shoulder. Close to a .22 MMJ, .22 spitfire, but just not quite. Being recently unable to work, I am so bored and a pet project seems to be in order.
Am I realistic on this for a project?
Thanking everyone in advance.....
Old 01-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Supporting Member

Are the 580 series receivers heat treated? Always wondered about putting in that work into something which was going to wear quickly.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:13 AM

My plan was not to feed it a strict diet of high pressure screamer loads, but lots of cast bullets. Cheap unique shooting. Just a different direction from my 222 Rimmed martini.
Garin rounds, and Calhoon rounds, I think have proven the worth of this type of conversion.
Thank you for the concern.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
Are the 580 series receivers heat treated? Always wondered about putting in that work into something which was going to wear quickly.
I think Remington just made all the 500 series bolt back ends the same. I have a friend who has a 580 converted to .17 Mk. IV. I think they're a lot stronger than some give them credit for. I guess you could have the "locking areas" tested if you're concerned.

Bob
Old 01-19-2015, 11:51 PM

Default 580 Rem

Hi. I have a Rem 581 in 17HMR done by Brian Voelker some 10 years ago using the factory boltface. Immediately after Hornady announced the 17HH round, a machinist friend converted 2 of them to that cartridge, one for each of us. He recently did another 581 mod in 22 TCM for himself. These all have fixed/rotating bolt faces, Sako extractors and are single shot only. For kicks, he has also converted one to 9mm with mag feed, which uses a modified, non-rotating head. None have shown any signs of excessive pressure. He's now thinking of building another one in 221FB. I don't envision problems if you stay with the 223 boltface and don't hotrod the round.
Art
Old 01-20-2015, 12:16 AM

I have build several up to and including 221 fireball . Have not had any issues with the actions or the 4140p steel I use for the new front half of the bolts
Old 01-20-2015, 02:52 PM

Thank you guys for the replies. I just received my 580 in the mail yesterday. It has been looked after quite well all of these years. Did some of the earlier guns ever have a nice deep glossy blue? Anyway this one does. It was owned by a gentleman that was an armourer for several security contractors. It has had the second action screw done, glass bedded, bbl floated, and the stock was painted with some sort of tactical black bumpy finish, and it has had some of the trigger spring coils clipped off. But I can't tell the difference between it, and my stock 581's trigger.
So while I am waiting for my reamers to arrive from China?, I will do the overtravel, engagement mods. to the trigger. As for a recoil lug, what are the opinions on a typical Rem lug between the bbl. and receiver, or maybe to sleeve the action? Either one is of little cost, all the work is done in the basement..
Consult your powers of recollection, and see if any 580, 581's really turned your crank as to being extra special.
Regards,..
Old 01-20-2015, 03:00 PM

I have seen 2 Remington rifles, a 580 and 581 that routinely group Match ammo into sub 1/2" groups at 100 meters when there is little wind at our range.
In a way, it is sad to see then converted to anything except for Rimfire Silhouette match rifles, if you get my drift.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:33 PM

I do understand how you feel, about hacking up a good shooter. But we have no range here that has acceptable politics, always back biting, and slandering other groups, so I stay away from that. But without income, and supported by assistance only, it is not possible to buy what i desire. Other than threading the receiver, I hurt no other parts that have not already seen the wrath of a plumber with a file and a chainsaw.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:09 PM

I've done a conversion to .22 Hornet. First, the instructions are more like guidelines, you will really need to adjust the measurements to fit your project. Even with the bolt throw stop machined longer, they still will not eject a loaded Hornet round. Depending on your rifle you may also have to machine out the ejector port. The tube fed model (592) is not as suited to conversion because the bottom of the receiver at the front is machined off for clearance for the feed tube. This gives less thickness for the threads you will have to cut. I do have a really nice tricked out 581 that shoots amazingly well, I think these are likely the finest mass produced RF rifles that have ever been made. Larry