Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Supporting Member

Default Is anybody shooting the 17 Winchester super Magnum?

I'm surprised that the ammo seems available in a lot of the local stores that sell ammo. I don't have a rifle for it but bought a box just to have something to think about in the future. I don't know how many rifles are available for the round other than the "B Mag". I was just wondering if the round was that much better than the 17 HMR.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:12 PM

Yep,
I have been shooting it for a few years now in a MGM 22" stainless bull contender rifle setup.

It blows the HMR out of the water.

In my opinion, the B-mags are JUNK. They may shoot now that savage fixed some issues and added a heavy barrel, but they still are JUNK>

That is why the round hasn't taken off and that is why you are seeing lots of ammo on the shelf.

FYI...........if you buy ammo in bulk online you can get it for $14 a box shipped or less if you do some shopping around............a year ago I bought several thousand for $12.40 a box (after including shipping charges)

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 03-17-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Banned

Default B mag

17 wsm kills the hmr an 22 mag! I get my ammo at Wally for 1479 a box! And my b mag shoots great great truck rifle ! It just need s little love! Now she out shoots everyyhing
Old 03-17-2017, 07:22 PM

200 yard target with a 100 yard sight in...............Just over 1" group

And another 200 yard target with 100 yard sight in............1.5" group

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 03-17-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:29 PM

100 yard 8 shot group............American Eagle 20gr
Old 03-17-2017, 07:36 PM

I've wanted to "LIKE" the Savage B mag..........just can't do it.

And if somebody else likes them, that is fine. In fact a good friend of mine bought one recently with the plastic stock and stainless bull barrel. Says it shoots under 1" at 100 yards even with the cheapo stock touching the barrel on one side of the barrel channel. He bought it for a "TRUCK GUN" and thinks it will do for that purpose. However, everyone I've talked to is disappointed with the "quality" of the rifle, even for $300.

Pairing that caliber with the "B mag" was a huge marketing mistake by Winchester. But, oh well............I guess that is why the ammo is plentyful and cheap.

I'm not saying they don't shoot well, as I've heard that they do (with heavy barreled versions).

I just can't stand the way they feel in the hand I have held probably 5 different heavy barreled versions from the laminate thumbhole to the blued heavy barrel plastic. I don't like the way they "cock on close", the bolt handle (which i know can be replaced), the cheapo plastic stock, the fit and finish, etc.

I wished they would have put a little more effort into the savage rifle as the .17WSM is a great round.

I was lucky to already have the contender setup, so $400 later I ended up with a .17WSM that is quality through and through.

My dad has a savage thumbhole laminate heavy barrel stainless in 22 mag. I think it's a pretty nice feeling and looking rifle. His will shoot under 1" at 100 yards with CCI 30gr HP and 40gr HP.

But, he and I both were astonished as to what my contender in .17 WSM was doing to the squirrels out past 100 yards with a 2-5MPH cross breeze. Unreal the difference in performance.

Many one shot kills out to a lasered 240 yards by holding 1/2 squirrel high..................
I could never think of doing that with my .17 HMR (that I sold years ago)

NOW IF WE CAN ONLY GET CZ to build a rifle for this caliber..............

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 03-17-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:27 PM

I have three .17HMRs and the ammo has gone down hill from what it was five years ago. From this chair, Hornady and CCI know they have a captive audience with all the .17HMR rifles out there and just don't give a crap anymore about the quality of the ammo for these guns. My two cents is I will never buy another super duper rimfire. These new WSMs may shoot great when finessed but how will they shoot in a few years when ammo sales are smaller than they are now?
I doubt the ammo manufacturers will put the money in to improving the round and it will be in the same spot as the .17HMR is now, the crapper. YMMV.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 PM

i agree the 17 hmr was deadly when it first arrived now they just dump any old rubbish out as ammo, i moved to a 17 hornet as i can relaod it deadly on crow rabbit and fox to 300 every thing the 17 hmr wanted to be , had i know how good it is i would of gotten a17 ackely hornet years ago
Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 PM
Banned

Default 17 hmr

I still love my hmr it just doesn't hit as hard as the b mag. For squirrels I'll take the HMR any day!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Banned

Default 17hmr

I've killed way to many crows out past 150yd to ever ever think of putting the HMR to the back of the gun safe