Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Supporting Member

Molly bullets and graphite in the bore all became of interest to me because I like to play and also I had a factory 17 rem that was a great shooter but would copper foul quite a bit. I thought that a lubricant would help with the fouling. It may have helped but not by much (in that riffle barrel). Later on after I rechambered it to a 17 Squirrel I found that JB did improve the fouling. I now use graphite and molly for quicker easier cleaning and mostly to go longer strings of shooting before clean when out PD’n.

Here is my take on it and I may be all wrong here…. I echo what BCB and Dave said and in addition I’ll add that I want the pours in the metal to be filled with something other than copper and powder fouling and the graphite seems to be a great choice. I have tried both the lock ease and the stuff Dave sent me which I believe I heard was just a finer grade of graphite (smaller particles to get into smaller pours??) At any rate both have seemed to work out just fine for me. I know that Fred at Bullberry barrel works has a e-zox, I think it is a synthetic that does about the same thing and I really like using that stuff on the outside of a barrel too.

I recommend trying it for yourself and see if your particular riffle will show the benefits. If it is like my original 17 Rem it may not???
Old 11-26-2008, 07:31 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy_E View Post
When you apply this to the barrel is there a change in grouping as the lubricant wears away?
I also had assumed that there would be some POI or grouping change due to removal of the graphite layer and I thought someone would have compensated by coating the bullets. However, nobody has mentioned POI or grouping changes so could, after the first shot, the carbon fouling residue be acting as a lubricant - replacing the role of the graphite ?

Also, the copper fouling has been reduced, which is unlikely to be all due to the initial shot being made through a lubed barrel.

Thanks for all the replies, it looks like it's worth trying.