Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-28-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger rodbolt View Post
Hard carbon fouling in front of the lead is very hard to remove in small caliber barrels. I was sold on Slip 2000 when I saw what it does to external carbon on gas pistons, chokes, etc but have had very poor results with it on hard carbon rings inside our barrels. Wipe-out works great on copper, does nothing on carbon, the company now has Carb-Out or such that I've tried but can say yet much about it. Kroil and Butch's or GM Top Engine Cleaner for general cleaning but JB Paste or Isso is a must to prevent carbon. I'm still learning but my recently purchased Hawkeye borescope tells a lot about the cleanliness of a barrel.
The hard carbon is not just in the leade, it's quite a way down the barrel.

The rifle is a new Remington Model 7 CDL. Total shots fired = 10 (including 2 at the Proof House). Currently I'm developing a load, starting with 17.0 grains H322. After 2 rounds I gave the barrel about 5 passes with a bronze brush - but didn't repeat to check that all the carbon had been removed. I carried on and fired another 6 rounds before cleaning - but this time I double-checked to see whether the barrel was clean - it wasn't. I have now lost count of how many passes I've made and carbon is still appearing.

Edit: after much elbow grease the barrel is now finally clean. Could the carbon have been created from the initial firing at the Proof House if the barrel preservative had not been cleaned off ?

Last edited by Bad Wolf; 12-28-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: barrel now clean
Old 12-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
Could the carbon have been created from the initial firing at the Proof House if the barrel preservative had not been cleaned off?
Could have been the problem. I've spent an inordinate amount time on new CZ527's before the first shot, I don't know what they put in their barrels but it's seems to be a preservative mixed with metal powder and is tough. They clean nicely after break in though.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default What did you do...

to get that crap out? I bought a 527 in 22 hornet, which I will have to love until I can swing a 17 AH bbl for it. Will jb take it out? bronze brush, Butches? Lots of rounds, heat, and then JB's?

thanks in advance.

larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 12-29-2008, 02:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Bad Wolf: Don't know if it's available where you're at.
But, the one juice that cleans everything out quick and easy clear to the metal is: Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner. Do a search and you'll find it.

Fill a bronze brush with it, ten strokes, ten minute break, ten more strokes then patch it clean in about three patchs. IF it's not ALL cleaned out, do it again the same way and it will be. That's carbon, copper, plastic, everything.
The main things you need to know about using it are: Keep it OFF the wood, it'll take the finish right off to the wood. IF you've got an old oiled up stock and want to clean it up nice, just use that stuff and it's cleaned nicely.

AND: make darned sure you oil the metal up real good soon as you patch it dry. OTherwise it's going to flash rust from the humidity just like an engine block that comes out of a hot tank will do. But, if you get some rust, or don't remember to oil it up. Just clean it the same way and it'll clean the rust out/off too. Then oil it up.

IF you were in the USA, I'd say to contact Ken down there and ask for a sample tube. I don't know whether he ships to the UK or not. Might be well worth contacting him if you can't find it fairly easy.

Good luck,

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinIA View Post
What do you do to get that crap out? I bought a 527 in 22 hornet, which I will have to love until I can swing a 17 AH bbl for it. Will jb take it out? bronze brush, Butches? Lots of rounds, heat, and then JB's?

thanks in advance.

larry
Lots and lots of elbow grease using bronze brushes and Redex Fuel Line Cleaner. I wore out new 3 brushes during the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
....IF you were in the USA, I'd say to contact Ken down there and ask for a sample tube. I don't know whether he ships to the UK or not. Might be well worth contacting him if you can't find it fairly easy.

Good luck,
Thanks, it is available in UK. I'll give it a go.

Last edited by Bad Wolf; 12-29-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Supporting Member

Wolf: What model rifle is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
Hi,

I am having a problem with stubborn, very hard, carbon barrel fouling in a .17 Rem Fireball that I'm reloading using Hodgdon H322 and CCI primers.

I'm currently using bronze brushes with various solvents - with little success. There is no sign of copper fouling - just very hard carbon.

Any suggestions for a cleaner burning powder, or must I start using JB Compound ?
Old 12-29-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17varminter View Post
Wolf: What model rifle is this?
It's a new Remington Model 7 CDL, in .17 Rem Fireball, with a 20" barrel.