Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the, as usual, very informative replies.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM

I made my own seater die for the 22 Cricket (25acp necked to 22) about 10 years ago. To solve this problem I allowed the seater stem to "float" well below the mouth of the die. That way I was able to fit the bullet into the neck of the case and the contour of the seater stem before raising it into the die. The stop a the top of the die still allowed precise seating depth adjustment, but the bullets position did not depend upon my "balancing it" on top of the case mouth.
And with such a small case, my fat fingers needed all the help I could find.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Supporting Member

Dick K, sure the reg chamfer tool has served us well for a long time. I just like the longer taper thinking it "may" help the bullet to seat straighter. I'm also very fond of the Vickerman seating dies. I think they're very under rated.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:38 PM

I've had good luck using a light cut with a regular chamfer tool plus a second light cut with a Lyman VLD style chamfer tool. I seat using a Bonanza/Forster Co-Ax press and regular RCBS seater die. The Co-Ax press shellholder can be adusted so the bullet and case can be held in place, in the die, using your fingers. Then you raise the ram and the shellholder snaps over the case rim. That way you don't smash your fingers and you don't have to play the bullet balancing act. This seating method and the Lee Collet neck die has ended my frustration and has eliminated bullet runout in my .17 Remington loads.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Vibe:
I'd like to see a sketch of that setup if you could provide it. Either here, or e'mail.
Thank you.

I've given some thought about making a bullet base chamfering die for these flat based bullets. But, never got further than thinking about it.
sure would have to be a light push, but, shouldn't need much to touch the edge up a little bit.

A few yrs ago a buddy had a tip reformer made at work for 30's. He'd gotten 10,000 Flat/RN's and wanted a point on them. Came out looking and measuring just right far as I could tell. Then he proceeded to use them in CMP match's and got good groups. Enough so to win most of the targets. But, most of the CMP shooting is offhand @ 200. I've never been much offhand, don't see the point in it myself, nor the rapids either.

But the tip former die he had made worked great.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-02-2009, 11:26 AM

The V-Max bullets on Varmint Al's website appear to have a boat tail base. http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

So.why don't the bullet manufacturer's supply .17 bullets for the centrefire's ? They must have some reason: cost, poorer stability ?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Many years ago, I talked with Martin Hull at Sierra, back when they were still in Ca....asked him why they did not make 17 bullets....his response was that Remington and Hornady already made them, and the market was small, plus the fact that the smaller diameter of the 17's made it more difficult to get the "center of mass" and the "center of rotation" to coincide.......I guess that it makes sense if you "reverse" the diameter to larger....then it becomes easier to do that.......he said that given the small market for 17's, that it would not be cost effective for Sierra to attempt to build 17 cal bullets......if they could not make one that was better than what was already out there, and at a competitive cost, they (Sierra) would just not do it...said the 22 cals. were as small as they wanted to get involved with.....and now they build 20's....steve
Old 02-02-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Vibe:
I'd like to see a sketch of that setup if you could provide it. Either here, or e'mail.
Thank you.
I did that one close to 8 or 10 years ago, and all of the drawings are on a cad program I no longer have installed. It works very similar to these
http://www.hornady.com/media/new_dim...stom_grade.pdf
With the exception that, with my very short cases, I elected not to go the sliding sleeve route and used just the floating seater stem with a push profile matching the V-Max 35gr ogive shape.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:27 AM

Default dies

The good old Bonanza bench rest Dies help your problem .

You do not see many people using them any more but they produce loads with very little run out.

The Hornady is a poor copy of their system .I bought a set of Hornady thinking they maybe as good as the Bonanza dies . After having runout of over .010" I sent them back (the Hornady) .The dies they replaced them with were no better .I sold them at a gun show and bought some Bonanza never to look back .

Chris