Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-20-2009, 12:50 PM

Default How popular is the .17 Rem Fireball ?

Hi,

I am very pleased with my Remington Model 7 CDL in .17 Rem Fireball.

But, the cartridge does not seem to be that popular here in UK - despite the fact that reloaded ammo' is about the same cost as HMR.

I'm just curious as to it's popularity elsewhere.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:07 PM

badwolf,

I think there a couple things conspiring against the fireball here in the UK.

First, it is very much a dedicated round. You're going to use it on rabbits, birds on the ground, and the occasional fox. Compared to a 223 or 22-250, you get less power and less availability of the ammo. The 224's are usable for small deer, and if you want to stretch them out to a distance you can. The fireball will take a bit more work to get there, and still won't be as good as a 22-250 when you start pushing 300+ yards. That's a lot of downside for a 'fun' rifle, and I don't think you'll find many guys who would call a 17 fireball a workhorse rifle unless you're a prarie dog exterminator. It is a niche caliber.

Second, from what I'm seeing, most of the guys over here don't reload. Quite a few do, and probably a higher proportion than in the US, but not enough that reloading supplies are common and plentiful. Even in the US where reloading gear IS common and plentiful, the little 17 stuff is never common. You can get it via mail order/internet so it is easy enough to make it work. Over here, 17 caliber reloading gear isn't nearly as plentiful and mail order is tougher because of FAC requirements. And, I have yet to see a box of fireball ammo on the shelf at any of the gunshops. You'll see the occasional 17 rem, but not fireball.

So it is a niche caliber that take a lot of work to make it work and supplies are not common. In the US there is enough total volume to make up for the tiny percentage of people that shoot the little guns. In the UK there isn't.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 03-20-2009, 06:07 PM

Rick has summed it up pretty succintly. There is also the problem in the UK (and elsewhere) of the 17 Remington bad press. When I wanted a 17 Remington my local RFD was unwilling to assist as he was convinced it was only good for 500 rounds.

A box of 20 loaded rounds were at the time £25 compared to £17 or less for .223, or 22-250 and brass was £30 for a 100 compared to £15 for .223. They wouldn't even order loaded ammunition as they had to order a minimum quantity and there was insufficient demand. For most people it doesn't make economic sense. Fortunately there are still a few die hards who appreciate the 17's.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Supporting Member

A pity because its a great round. It gets the job done and there are a number of manufacturers making 17 cal bullets. I've been using it as my primary rifle since it first came out and it has opened my eyes to the small calibers. I have just about every rifle model for it, except for Cooper, and they are very accurate.