Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-13-2009, 10:12 PM

Default Wolf smolf

This is what I'm interested in and it's working. I'm saving money and the groups are just as good maybe better and their $13 to $20 cheaper a K.

Last edited by Oleman; 09-13-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:51 AM

Default Wolf Tests

The purpose of any test between different brands of anything is to find out what, if anything are the differences between them. You try to eliminate any variables other than the one component you're testing. In this test I found out that if I want to maintain the same velocity I obtained with American primers when I switch to Wolf, I have to add more powder.
My past experience has shown that when I switch from, say, a WLR to a WLRM, I can expect from 50 to 70 fps more velocity with a corresponding increase in pressure. (Sometimes a lot more pressure.) Under the same conditions, if I switched from a WLRM to a Wolf Large Rifle Magnum primer, I can expect to lose 99 fps. I'll bet you can test any powder in any case you want, and find similar differences between these tested primers.
The Wolf SRM, on the other hand, has always given higher velocity when subsituted for R 7 1/2, F205, WSR or BR-4.
Hotter primers always give higher velocity and pressure with a given powder charge. If anyone can show me different I'll buy you a whole case of pepsi.
Lowell, I have seen a test like you described somewhere in the past. That is indeed a valid test of primer pressure and gas generated although it doesn't address the flame duration or temperature.
Bob
Old 09-15-2009, 02:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Moore

One thing that everyone failed to mention was the single digit numbers on the SD and ES. Any time you can get them down into the single digits you have much more consistant ammo making for better accuracy. You can always increase the powder for additional velocity.
I'll take accuracy over velocity any day.
Dave
Old 09-15-2009, 04:01 AM

Default Wolf primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moore View Post
One thing that everyone failed to mention was the single digit numbers on the SD and ES. Any time you can get them down into the single digits you have much more consistant ammo making for better accuracy. You can always increase the powder for additional velocity.
I'll take accuracy over velocity any day.
Dave
Me too Dave you can't miss them fast enough to killem!