Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 AM

Default Scope mounting question

Hi,

I have one rifle, an Anschutz 1717, that is irritating me with POI shift from session to session at about 0.8 MOA.

In my attempts to resolve the issue I have swopped and changed just about everything, including scopes, shooting bags, shooting position etc. - also I have tried using a dirty and clean barrel, but to no avail.

The only thing I have not changed are the 11mm scope rings.

So, my question, is there any benefit regarding improved zero stability, likely to be made by screwing a one piece picatinny weaver type rail on to the rifle or, alternatively, by using standard dovetail bases?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Default You did not mention bedding

In my experience I have very seldom found the scope mount to be the culprit. Most likely your bedding is in need of a touch up. I would first suggest putting a piece of calling card double folded under the front of the receiver (cut a hole for the guard screw) reassemble and try to see if you can tell a difference. Do not tighten the screws down too tight, just snugged up, as you can bend the receiver and that too will cause problems.
If this solves your problem then you may want to glass bed the receiver and float the barrel.
Give this a try and you may solve the problem.
Hope this helps.
Brooks
Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Supporting Member

x2 on the bedding. You definitely have something touching or not touching in all the right places. Glassing the action with or without pillars and floating the barrel will likely solve this with 90% certainty.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Supporting Member

x3 on the bedding.

I use alum soft drink cans, average thickness runs .004", cut off the top and bottom, wash & dry, then fold over several times (bigger than the area to be covered), drill pilot hole for action screws, then cut to size to fit the action I am working on. Can also use plastic coffee can lids or milk jugs, makes thicker shims etc.

I have 2 that I have done that way and they improved so much I could not make myself remove the alum strips and do it the proper way. I am afraid I won't have the same results.

I usually do the front and back of the action at the same time, kinda a suspended pillar bedding, I start with a free floated bbl and work back from there etc. YMMV,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Supporting Member

X4 here...
I do almost the same thing a nvreloader except I use the plastic credit cards for shims. Cut holes for action screws with a leather whole punch (the type with a star wheel for various size wholes) and it has worked so well I have yet to do a proper bedding job... Maybe one day I'll get around to it, but untill then it has been drilling Grounds Hogs thru the eye balls. I've got a 1717 also but mine does'nt have this problem.
Good Luck and keep us informed as to how things work out for you.
Larry