Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-03-2019, 09:03 PM

Default Talked to Cooper today/Model 38

I called Cooper today to find out about spare parts for the 38, now that it is discontinued. I got connected to one of the gunsmiths. The good thing is that they are retaining spare parts and will continue to do repairs.

I mentioned possibly buying one of the Bee sized bolts (mine is a Hornet). The gunsmith suggested that it was his best advice to not go up to the larger case head in the 38 due to issues with the extractor. He mentioned the extractor as being thin where the rim cut is, and breakage being an issue. Possibly, there were other things, I am not sure. He said that if an extractor issue developed with the larger case head bolt, they would want the whole rifle back instead of sending an extractor.

He then asked me if I knew about the Model 21, and I said "yes, I have three" He then asked "why do you want a 38?", almost as if to them, the 38 was a liability, and he was confused that I would even want one. I explained to him that it was the compact, more tailored size of the action and rifle. I guess, maybe more might have been at stake with the model 38 and low production figures and the bottom line $$.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:48 PM

I know what you mean about the size. My M38 classic in 221 fb feels like a toy after carrying a full size varmint gun all day. I asked Cooper if they discontinued the M38 in the 221 based cases because of problems and was told no.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintshooter View Post
I know what you mean about the size. My M38 classic in 221 fb feels like a toy after carrying a full size varmint gun all day. I asked Cooper if they discontinued the M38 in the 221 based cases because of problems and was told no.
I got used to my Cooper Varminters after a while, then picked up my Ruger 77 VT and Remington 700 VS (both .223), and they felt HUGE, especially the bolts, when I removed them. Looking at them in comparison to the 21, the bolts looked like something from a crew served weapon. The 38 is even smaller.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I got used to my Cooper Varminters after a while, then picked up my Ruger 77 VT and Remington 700 VS (both .223), and they felt HUGE, especially the bolts, when I removed them. Looking at them in comparison to the 21, the bolts looked like something from a crew served weapon. The 38 is even smaller.
Danny, you just mirrored my own experience. When I grab any of my full size varmint rigs after spending time with either of my M38's, that "crew-served weapon" comment seems realistic, and the term "clunky" comes to mind.

I'm completely infatuated with my little Model 38's.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 PM

I was planning on ordering two model 38's in 17 Hornady hornet this winter then I saw that they discontinued them, I got a tip from a member on here that a gun stock maker in Montana had a couple of model 38 barreled actions for sale. I got ahold of the seller and made a deal on them. They were 17 Ackley hornets instead and I think I'm going to like them just as well.

I called Cooper and they said they would put stocks on them, they are high polished blued with a classic barrel profile, so I put them in AA walnut classic stocks as they should be. One came in last week and I should be getting a call on the second one soon. I am way impressed with the wood they put on the first one.

They included a test target and a new box since the barreled actions did not have anything with them.

Super customer service.

John
Old 07-04-2019, 07:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I have two M- 38s

.17 VR and 20 VT

Nice guns

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-04-2019, 03:05 PM

And I have a .17 Ackley Hornet & a .20 VT.
Vern
Old 07-04-2019, 03:35 PM

My two 38's are in .17 Ackley Hornet & .218 Mashburn Bee
Old 07-04-2019, 03:45 PM

I had a 17 AH and a 22K hornet and recently added a 17 Fireball and a VT to the stable with the assistance of a forum member who is very helpful when it comes to spending other people’s money.
Really prefer them over the 21s.
Bob
Old 07-04-2019, 05:20 PM

Default M 38s

Wish I had not sold my 38s in 17AH, 218B, and 22K.
KIlled a lot of PDs with the 17 AH.