Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-05-2019, 01:08 AM

Default Cooper 38-17 Squirrel

I stumbled across a guy that has a pretty nice collection of Coopers. They were his fathers and he is looking to sell them. I'm interested in 2 of them for sure. One being a Model 38 chambered in 17 Squirrel. He says that he has the dies, brass, and some loaded ammo for it. Sitting on top of the rifle is a VX-III 4.5-14x50. Gun would rate at 95-98%. No box, no factory target. What would be the value of this rifle??? Does the caliber add value or take it away? I currently own 3 Model 38's and love them. I feel like I have got all 3 for a fair deal. I've given anywhere between $1250-$1550 for each. Would the 17 Squirrel fall into this price range or not? He has not given me a price on it yet but would like to know the general opinion on the matter.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:38 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ae35gunner

Your price range is not unreasonable. What's it worth to you is the question. Why not make him a fair offer that you feel both would be comfortable for both of you and let him respond to your offer rather than let him set a price that may not be reasonable. Good luck with your quest and let us know how it goes. He wouldn't happen to have a Model 21 Varminter in 20VT would he?? I would have an interest in that one!
Old 08-05-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae35gunner View Post
Your price range is not unreasonable. What's it worth to you is the question. Why not make him a fair offer that you feel both would be comfortable for both of you and let him respond to your offer rather than let him set a price that may not be reasonable. Good luck with your quest and let us know how it goes. He wouldn't happen to have a Model 21 Varminter in 20VT would he?? I would have an interest in that one!
Off the top of my head he has a Model 22 in 6.5x284. 2 or 3 Model 38 in 22CCM, Model 40 in 22 Hornet, Model 38 in 17CCM, Several Model 57's and 57M's. I know one was a 22 Magnum and one was a 17 Mach 2. Some really odd ball calibers and that is what I'm really into. If I had enough coin I'd just buy them all.......just because. If you are looking for a 20VT, but a Model 38. It was my first Cooper and it started my addiction to not only Cooper rifles but the 20VT.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20VarTarg View Post
I stumbled across a guy that has a pretty nice collection of Coopers. They were his fathers and he is looking to sell them. I'm interested in 2 of them for sure. One being a Model 38 chambered in 17 Squirrel. He says that he has the dies, brass, and some loaded ammo for it. Sitting on top of the rifle is a VX-III 4.5-14x50. Gun would rate at 95-98%. No box, no factory target. What would be the value of this rifle??? Does the caliber add value or take it away? I currently own 3 Model 38's and love them. I feel like I have got all 3 for a fair deal. I've given anywhere between $1250-$1550 for each. Would the 17 Squirrel fall into this price range or not? He has not given me a price on it yet but would like to know the general opinion on the matter.
As a barometer, I just bought a Model 21 Phoenix from dogdown here, NIB with all literature, test targets, box, etc. This is a LH, which Cooper charges something like $200.00 more for. He initially included in the listing, two boxes of factory ammunition, I think, then found something like three more that he included at the previously listed price. I paid $1600.00 shipped on an easy deal with a good guy. I would not have considered trying to talk him down on price, as it seemed a very mutually ok price. The model this guy is selling would have an effect on price. I do not think you listed the model, and there are price differences in the models at Cooper. In my opinion, the smaller rounds such as the 22 CCM and the one you list above would maybe cut the price some, as I see them more as oddities not suitable for most of the masses. I often see them sit, not moving, on Gunbroker.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
As a barometer, I just bought a Model 21 Phoenix from dogdown here, NIB with all literature, test targets, box, etc. This is a LH, which Cooper charges something like $200.00 more for. He initially included in the listing, two boxes of factory ammunition, I think, then found something like three more that he included at the previously listed price. I paid $1600.00 shipped on an easy deal with a good guy. I would not have considered trying to talk him down on price, as it seemed a very mutually ok price. The model this guy is selling would have an effect on price. I do not think you listed the model, and there are price differences in the models at Cooper. In my opinion, the smaller rounds such as the 22 CCM and the one you list above would maybe cut the price some, as I see them more as oddities not suitable for most of the masses. I often see them sit, not moving, on Gunbroker.
Danny the model is a 38. As far as if is a Classic or some other model I am not totally positive about that. It is beautiful and I believe its an early Model 38. I have not owned a Model 21 but they are sweet little rifles as well. What caliber was the Model 21 that you purchased on here? The CCM caliber Coopers do sit a while because they are such a novelty item and brass is very hard to come by and if founds very expensive.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20VarTarg View Post
Danny the model is a 38. As far as if is a Classic or some other model I am not totally positive about that. It is beautiful and I believe its an early Model 38. I have not owned a Model 21 but they are sweet little rifles as well. What caliber was the Model 21 that you purchased on here? The CCM caliber Coopers do sit a while because they are such a novelty item and brass is very hard to come by and if founds very expensive.
It is a 17 Fireball, something I am already tooled up for. The loaded ammunition that dogdown sold it to me with gives me one group of brass to use in it, and leaves me with the brass that I am using in my Remington 700, as well as a couple of hundred or so pieces to hold for later use that I lucked into when components were scarce.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:04 AM
Supporting Member

I have a cooper 38 custom classic in 17 squirrel and a 38 in 22 squirrel. They are my two favorite rifles! That would be a great price if it’s in that good of condition with it just being a classic. If ts a custom classic it is a steal.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:21 PM

Default Sounds good to me

I purchased almost the same package off Gun Broker a few years ago for 2200. Gun Broker. I bought a 22k hornet built for the shot show years ago and fell in love. Talked to Cooper a few years ago and had a copy built in 17AH that's an amazing little gun. 2200 so the squirrel with dies and brass seemed reasonable to kinda round out my collection. Beautiful little rifles that shoot extremely well.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:06 PM

Well he finally put a price on the 17 Squirrel and I may have to walk away from it. He wants $2250 for the bare rifle. No Scope. I do believe that includes the dies and any brass that his father had. I sold my 17 Ackley Hornet to purchase this rifle but I wasn't prepared to add $900 to what I sold the 17AH for. What's everyones thoughts on this??
Old 12-15-2019, 01:54 PM

I have had a number of Coopers and found that oddball calibers do not sell very well as many shooters either don’t know what the are or don’t want the hassle of seeking / making cases, etc. I’m thinking your guy looked at MSRP and decided to test the market. I would make a firm and fair offer, and hold my ground.