Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-06-2019, 05:31 PM
Supporting Member

Default Measuring K-Hornet Headspace

Just curious how others measure K-Hornet and similar headspace for proper sizing. I know most just neck size and I am sympathetic to that idea, but how about when you are making new brass with a false shoulder or if you want to just bump the shoulder a thousandth or two. I read one guy on accurateshooter who said he got his best accuracy with the shoulder bumped .002". I have been using Stoney Point/Hornady bullet seating depth setup in 25 cal, but latest rifle has a fired neck that doesn't work too well with that setup. I am going to get a 6.5mm bushing to see how I like it. Would love to hear from some of you. Thanks, Joe
Old 08-06-2019, 06:54 PM
Supporting Member

I have N. Jones bushings , I just use the head space gauge and bump at the end if needed. I expand the case up to 25 cal first then neck down so I have a good solid shoulder.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 PM

In order to know the correct headspace of your chamber, your brass has to, first, grow to a zero headspace point. Once the brass has grown enough to where it has resistance when closing the bolt, then you push the shoulder back 1-3 thou. If you just arbitrarily push the shoulder back a few thou, before, you've reached zero headspace, you'll be sizing your brass more than is necessary and your reloaded ammo will always be headspacing off the rim.

I like to have just a very slight hint of resistance closing the bolt so I know it's headspacing off the shoulder.

Depending on how hot the ammo is loaded, it can take 2-3 firings before your brass grows to a zero headspace point.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:43 PM
Supporting Member

My question is how do y'all measure headspace?
Old 08-07-2019, 01:30 AM

I find that a 6.5 hornady bullet bushing works very well.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
My question is how do y'all measure headspace?
Most use a go gauge and no/go gauge, some check it further by also using a field gauge.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

Whoops......... Just noticed that the question concerns the K-Hornet and not the standard Hornet. Never mind.........

Bill's advice still holds with a good understanding of your particular rifle chamber measurements to get your dies set accordingly on the shoulder. If I were doing it, I'd start with a false shoulder on the cartridges which would give me a light crush feeling on the bolt when closing it on a cartridge.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 08-08-2019 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Whoops...............
Old 08-08-2019, 03:18 PM

Okay, I can't stay out of this.

Bill is right. Bill is Correct. But I don't think Joe is really doing things that way way. If I read between the lines I think Joe is talking headspacing off the shoulder, not the rim. Then I read some more between the lines and I think he isn't talking about cutting a chamber to head space but rather resizing brass to fit an already cut chamber.,

Well there lies the can of worms. In order to resize off the shoulder you need to know which K-hornet your gun is chambered for; K-Hornet 30 degree, K-Hornet 40 degree, Kilbourn Hornet, RCBS Hornet,Landis 1947, Landis 1951, Speer #2, Speer #10 or some other K-hornet and which resizing die you have..

I had this long discussion with Pacific tool and die some years ago about the reamer they sent me not cutting a chamber to match commercial K-Hornet dies. Their flimsy excuse, I didn't specify which chamber I wanted. Grrrr. Yep they were right I didn't. And they just picked one.

I was cutting chambers in Ruger Hornets and Contenders with PTD reamer. The RCBS sizing die on hand pushed the shoulders back further on fireformed brass. The Redding die would not touch the shoulder. The RCBS die was just backed out and the then move in until brass fit.

So I think reading between the line some more, Joe is saying headspace when he means adjusting sizing to fit a chamber for shoulder headspace and not the rim. That is just a matter of adjusting the sizing die.

But then I could be wrong and he may be cutting a chamber for shoulder headspacing, and he is going to need to know which K-Hornet his reamer is to do that.

Last edited by Double D; 08-08-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:30 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Okay, I can't stay out of this.

Bill is right. Bill is Correct. But I don't think Joe is really doing things that way way. If I read between the lines I think Joe is talking headspacing off the shoulder, not the rim. Then I read some more between the lines and I think he isn't talking about cutting a chamber to head space but rather resizing brass to fit an already cut chamber.,

Well there lies the can of worms. In order to resize off the shoulder you need to know which K-hornet your gun is chambered for; K-Hornet 30 degree, K-Hornet 40 degree, Kilbourn Hornet, RCBS Hornet,Landis 1947, Landis 1951, Speer #2, Speer #10 or some other K-hornet and which resizing die you have..

I had this long discussion with Pacific tool and die some years ago about the reamer they sent me not cutting a chamber to match commercial K-Hornet dies. Their flimsy excuse, I didn't specify which chamber I wanted. Grrrr. Yep they were right I didn't. And they just picked one.

I was cutting chambers in Ruger Hornets and Contenders with PTD reamer. The RCBS sizing die on hand pushed the shoulders back further on fireformed brass. The Redding die would not touch the shoulder. The RCBS die was just backed out and the then move in until brass fit.

So I think reading between the line some more, Joe is saying headspace when he means adjusting sizing to fit a chamber for shoulder headspace and not the rim. That is just a matter of adjusting the sizing die.

But then I could be wrong and he may be cutting a chamber for shoulder headspacing, and he is going to need to know which K-Hornet his reamer is to do that.
That is exactly what I tried to say in my post but maybe I missed the mark.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 08-08-2019, 04:23 PM

I believe that the Khorent, either 22 or 17 is a wildcat, at least an improved. No SAAMI numbers. So you kinda gotta think for yourself. Granted these cases as Khornet have been around a while, but also known for some differences in vendor specs for reamers for chambers and dies; it is a wildcat, no rules. Maybe a leap of faith.

I am not a fan of the rim headspace jazz, but prefer the shoulder fwiw. I just let the particular rifle with a stripped bolt tell me about things.

I get lost in the conversations about bumping the shoulders 1/2 thousandth etc, my eyes glaze over, sorry must be an attention span thing here. Measuring 1/2 thousandth is kinda hard in a precision machine, much less with two beer cans and a bag of peanuts in your lap.

I tend to only neck size in my wilson sizers, and that is 1/2 of the length or so. When I need to full length size, I back the full length die all the way out, and let the die and stripped bolt tell me about the world. I have to admit I nose the sizing die before use some before use, surprises are not for the older generation.

someday I would like to have a matched set of reamers for sizing die and chamber, but the rabbit is still too poor.