Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-17-2020, 02:11 AM

Default Ruger 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
I've had a couple #1's, that both shot well with appropriate action and bedding work.
Must be me, I’ve had four, put in some custom triggers, and several forend bedding or floating schemes. Wasted a lot of money and sold all of them. I’m a slow learner.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:21 PM

My first Hornet was a Savage 219 pawn shop find. Then 10" contender barrel. Finally a Ruger 77. Still have and shoot them all.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Bear Rat View Post
None of the available .22 Hornets were 100% "dream quality" for me. A Sako L-46 would have been close, but one for the right price never came along. I've owned everything you can imagine: Brnos, CZs, a BSA Hunter, Ruger #1s and #3s, Kimbers, Anschutzes, an ULA, a Dakota Model 10, an M70, Coopers (still have the ULA and one Anschutz), but none was just right, either due to magazine length restrictions, barrel twist rate, or action size, so I ended up having to make mine.

This is one of my very first "scratch" builds. I finished this rifle in 2003 after about 3 years of work. It is an 80%-size coil spring Winchester Low Wall. I made every part, including every pin, screw, and spring. The major parts are made of 4140 and heat-treated appropriately. The only major operation I did not do myself was the cutting of the block mortise, which I had a local machine shop perform using wire EDM, and the only departure from the original Low Wall design -- aside from scale -- was simplifying and moving the extractor to the 6 o'clock position. It has more leverage but less travel than the original design.

It is a .22 Hornet, using a 1:12" Badger Barrel blank. An appropriate charge of 1680 behind a Nosler 40 gr BT will produce 3/4" groups, but, being so light, bench technique is very important. Honestly, although the Baby Redfield looks good, it is a limiting factor for me, even at only 100 yards, but anything larger just overwhelms the rifle. I'm guessing I've shot about 50 prairie dogs with it.

This little jewel weighs only 4.5 pounds, and I took a pic of me holding it to give a sense of scale, as it is extremely petite. I bought the English walnut blank many years ago and waited for the perfect project, and, as you can see, the figure is incredible.

If ever there was a rifle I would consider having buried with me, this is it, but my oldest son will get it when I'm gone/
TBR
I'm a huge fan of the original 1885s and that is a spectacular piece of work. I have several of the Winchesters and a Meacham High Wall, and I can imagine the work to make one of these. I don't know what would top that.

My current dream Hornet is a Browning Micro Medallion. I obtained it as a dealer in the late '90s. It's not had a round put through it before this fall, when I ordered a Lilja stainless barrel in .17 caliber and now have a switch-barrel rifle (.22 Hornet, .17 HH). It will be back next week and will join my Browning Low Wall in .22 Hornet and my Ruger #1B in that caliber. The Browning Low Wall shoots around 1/2" with the factory barrel and the 40-grain Nosler BTs. The Ruger shoots about an inch regardless of what I put through it... I don't know if it's the barrel or the bedding or what. I believe the Ruger has a 1:16" twist and I know it likes to run a hotter load... if I had to guess I think the barrel twist is too slow for longer bullets. I've thought of getting it rebarrelled to a .19 Badger or perhaps a .19 Fireball.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:37 PM

My No.3 in 22 Hornet is a 1:16, and the bullet it like best is a 30gr Berger.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:30 PM

BSA 1215.

Donnelly medium sporter weight 24 inch barrel.

Nicely figured walnut classic style no cheek piece buttstock with PG checkering, inletted lever.

Matching wood fore stock in the Westley Richard Sherwood style checkered fore stock pattern.

Quarter rib to hold Leupold FX-3 6X Competition scope. Not high, not way back, normal position. .

If I knew what I know now 30 years ago, I would have built this then. Well the scope would have been different, that FX3 didn't exist then.

I can't do it now, because Chick Donnelly died a while back. And, I no longer have the tools nor hands to do the work.

But an old man still has dreams.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:20 PM

D D

Do you have any pictures to show off your BSA ?

Hal
Old 01-10-2021, 01:43 AM

Default Model 70 .22 Hornet

Mine was a Winchester model 70 with a Monte Carlo stock and now has a Jewell trigger. Accurate
Jim
Old 01-10-2021, 03:44 PM

[quote=Hal;294913]D D

Do you have any pictures to show off your BSA ?Title of thread is dream gun. This is a dream gun.

I don 't have many picture of guns I built-pre digital cameras.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:03 PM

Any way you could take new one's and show them ? Like to see photo's of firearms people have and talk about.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:10 PM

[quote=Double D;294943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
D D

Do you have any pictures to show off your BSA ?
Title of thread is dream gun. This is a dream gun.

I don 't have many picture of guns I built-pre digital cameras