Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-13-2019, 09:47 PM

Default .17FB vs .20 VT

What are the pros and cons of the 2, or does the FB just not compete? I do have a .17fb, H&R rechambered, not to be confused with a Cooper, except on the Graybeards forum. I only bring this up as I see the .17fb brass for sale cheap from Nosler.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:02 PM

I have one of each and use them both. The 20 VT offers more smack and a little better reach, but the 17 FB is right on it's heels. I would be hard pressed to say which one I would keep, if I had to give one up, but more than likely I would end up with just the 20 VT/SCC . That probably does not really answer your question, but it is my thoughts.
In the meantime, get yourself one of each and you will enjoy both. Bill K
Old 07-13-2019, 10:25 PM

Not sure where you live or hunt but during the summer I think about getting a 17 something just because. Probably a 17FB. BUT when I take my annual prairie dog safari to Wyoming with my 20VT and 20TAC and realize what the wind is doing to those 32 and 40 grain bullets, I shudder to think how a 25 grain 17 bullet would be affected.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:28 PM

I have two Fireballs and a 17 Remington. Unless you have a real "thing" for the smallest caliber bullets, the sensible choice is the 20 VT for the better choice of bullets, as they offer similar performance.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:01 PM

Default 17 vs 20 in fireball case

I have one heavy barrel custom in 17 fb. It’s terrific on PDs out to at least 300 yards. I shoot exclusively 20 grain v max in it. Had a sporter that I used for coyotes, but it was not as lethal as I like for coyotes.
My vartargs are a sporter and a heavy barrel, both customs on a Rem actions. The heavy barrel gets Pd duty. The sporter, is used for occasional coyote calling, with 35 grain Berger bullets. This is a great cartridge for PDs. For coyotes, the 20 vt works in 90 % of the cases, but I prefer a little more hp for coyotes.
Both are terrific cartridges for varmints like PDs.
If I had to only have one of them, I’d go with the 20 vt, but it’s a close call and I don’t have to have just one.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Supporting Member

Don't choose, do both. there is very little difference between the two anyhow, except there are more heavier bullets available in 20 calibre. For shooting gophers an PD dogs both work fine. If I was seriously looking for a yote gun it would be a 204 Practical or Ruger.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:20 PM

Not a Vartarg user but I have two 17FBs and three 20Ps.

17FB factory ammo & brass vs more work making the Vartarg (I know, all you have to do is blah, blah, blah but it's still more work than the FB and a first shot fireform to your custom chamber, the same deal with the 20P.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:24 PM

I'm not looking for a Coyote gun. I have too many of them already, and I probably have not shot a Coyote since around 1979 with my 788 in .243! I just love the Pdog rounds, even if they don't get shot enough. It's just that I am old enough to remember when the .17 was the king of the small bore as most here are. I know the .17 FB is a blast, even in a turd like the H&R. The older I get, the less my well worn shoulder likes recoil, the more fun the little ones are to shoot!
Old 07-14-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
Not a Vartarg user but I have two 17FBs and three 20Ps.

17FB factory ammo & brass vs more work making the Vartarg (I know, all you have to do is blah, blah, blah but it's still more work than the FB and a first shot fireform to your custom chamber, the same deal with the 20P.
This is why if I'd just go 20-221. Size Lapua 221FB brass in a 221FB neck bushing die and you are done, and, you'll have top notch brass. The only downside, no factory ammo.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
This is why if I'd just go 20-221. Size Lapua 221FB brass in a 221FB neck bushing die and you are done, and, you'll have top notch brass. The only downside, no factory ammo.
Isn't the neck going to need trimmed, or is it just the .20VT with lapua brass that has too thick of necks?