Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-25-2019, 12:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default small caliber with a sting

this has nothing to do with rifles, got into a yellow jacket nest weed whacking today. stung about 20 times. tonight I plan to go back with a large caliber gas can and torch the little bastards. going to wear my rain suit, rubber boots, and my bug suit from hunting. revenge is a dish best served cold unless you have gasoline and a match.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:55 AM

glad your ok!

Burn the little armored bastards!
Old 08-25-2019, 01:53 AM

truly the SPAWN of Satan, FRY em !!!!!!

Last edited by SEM; 08-25-2019 at 01:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Shucks Bob, after dark you don't need all that protection.
THey're afraid to fly in the dark.

Good luck. Hope you never get to having reactions to the stings like i do wasps. Didn't used to bother me any, just the bite sting and was done. The last five years or so my hands and arms have swelled up, get dizzy as can be.

This has happened I think four times now. When I get stung now i put things away and get to the ER for another shot of whatever it is they give me. I try to call 'em ahead so they'll have it ready. Sure works quick.

I've never been hit by yellow jackets. Got bucked off a horse once when some nailed him on the rump. Ex Late FIL used to use his bare fingers and squash 'em soon as they'd land. I've never gotten to be that brave.
Nor have I stomped on a rattlers tail to make it coil like he did a couple times I saw. He'd been bit as a teen, and his oldest dau I married had been bit twice. Rough trips I heard.

Have fun Bob, we expect a report.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Supporting Member

Strange LOUD buzzing sound above the kitchen window? Bald Faced Hornets had built a nest in the eve.
8' ladder, three cans of Wasp and Hornet spray, me in my Snowmobile Suite and my helmet that I wear when I ride my bike 125 miles back and forth to work in the cold mornings. Turn the outside light on, scope things out, turn off the light, spray the hell out of the nest and run like hell.
Stand in the kitchen, flip the back light on and watch those suckers beat the hell out of the light bulb.
Next morning, dead hornets all over the place and for a day or two, only a few stragglers coming around.
Yellow Jackets? Followed a few back to their nest at the edge of the mowed field. Two cans of Wasp and Hornet spray later, no more Yellow Jackets.
Got LOTS of them going after water. If I see a hanging nest, Carb and Choke cleaner does the number on them.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:40 PM

Exclamation Careful gents.........

Just because we could easily withstand jellowjacket stings when we were younger...................does NOT mean anything in our later years.

They can KILL you.......before ya can get to a doctor.

If your doctor says ok......keep an epi-pen in the refrigerator. Or....at the very least......keep a bottle of Benedryl(sp?) pills in the cabinet.

Just sayin'

Kevin
Old 08-25-2019, 01:42 PM

wife thought I was crazy last night, left the garage singing the lullaby from o'father where for art thou. "go to sleep lil baby, you and me and baby makes three, go to sleep lil baby" well they went to sleep. found the hole and the yellow jackets were balled up in the entrance to keep other critters out of the nest.

proceeded to pour aviation fuel on them, they never moved. poured a quart of the aviation fuel down the hole. then I noticed another hole about a foot away and did the same to it. wife wasn't to keen on me setting fire to the yard so I sealed off the holes with a couple rocks. go to sleep lil babies!

the burning from last night has turned to itching, feels like chigger bites and it's time to fing the Benadryl.

Last edited by foxhunter; 08-25-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 PM

A few years ago, I got nailed by a couple of yellowjackets/Hornets while cleaning up some landscaping timbers in the yard. By the time I got into the house, the stings on my leg had swelled up to the size about half of a golf ball, and hurt like the dickens. I grabbed the Benadryl immediately, doubling up the normal dose. In about a half an hour, it had dulled the pain some. Ever since, I always take the Wasp and Hornet spray when working out in that area.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:58 PM

yellow jackets are glutinous pigs! if you take a bowl and fill it 2/3 full of water and dawn soap and place a small board on top with a piece of chicken nailed to it they will swarm it. then they will bite off large chunks of the chicken. when they try and fly back to the nest they fall into the water/dish soap and drown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL0G2iksUkE
Old 08-25-2019, 04:06 PM

I'm the local Yellow Jacket assassin.

My weapon of choice for ground nests is Sevin(carboryl) dust that you can purchase at the local garden store. I zip tie a disposable spoon to a 12' pole, load the spoon with a nice heap of Sevin(carboryl) dust and dump or flick it into the opening of the nest. Their beating wings spread the dust inside inside the nest and within a few hours its all over.

Yellow jackets can detect the carbon dioxide in your breath, so perform the dump while you're downwind. Don't move right away unless you're under attack.

You can also mix Sevin(carboryl) dust with tuna or cat food and make a bait station for the little buggers to grab a meal and take it to their friends.