Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-20-2020, 07:47 PM

Hi mefizto,

I do not use the Forster or Redding seating dies, so I cannot offer you an honest answer to your question.

The only bullet seating dies that I use, are the Universal Bullet Seating Dies from Hornady. I believe these are also the same seating dies as used in their New Dimension die sets.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:11 PM

Hi David,

thank you for the reply. As noted, this issue is more or less academinc inquiry at this point of time. If, actually, more likely, when I learn enough to venture into a wildcat for which dies are not available, I will have my machinist friend make me a sliding sleeve for Forser/Redding die based on B23's assertion regarding hardening.

Kindest regards,

M
Old 01-20-2020, 09:44 PM
Supporting Member

FWIW (and it may be totally personal preference) I would never use a spring for the sliding sleeve. My 17 Jet seater has one and someday I’m going to pitch it when I find the right sized retainer (if I don’t just cut off the spring above the retainer groove.

But then the custom 17 Jet retainer sleeve is a lot longer than the hornady sliding sleeve. And I have to hold up against the spring pressure to get a 25 gr vmax installed pia

I see no reason for a spring, gravity does a great job with the hornady dies.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
FWIW (and it may be totally personal preference) I would never use a spring for the sliding sleeve.
This is how the redding competition dies work, but the spring has nothing to do with seating depth. The sleeve just aligns everything internally and the stem is hard against the adjustment screw/knob. I like this setup and I can make wildcat seaters easily with the chamber reamer and a simple cylinder of steel. Then just swap parts around as needed. When seating, if something is amiss then the sleeve will sit off the shell holder and you know you'll have the same issue trying to chamber that round because the sleeve was cut with the same reamer.

Lee makes (and sells) threaded sleeves for their dies that you can use like this too. Need something new for forming or testing on a wildcat? Just quickly spin up a plain cylinder in the lathe that drops in the lee body. You can also get die blanks that are threaded and have a thru hole drilled. I've also used bolts. This gets you the material and the threads are already done. A grade 8 bolt is not too hard to use reamers on and it will not wear out unless you scoop up range brass off the sand dunes and go straight to the press. Chunks of old barrels are a good source of die material too; they have the thru hole pre-drilled.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:20 PM
Supporting Member

Thank you for your 2¢, I appreciate it but I’m very slow plus very thick headed and would probably need to see a Redding die set up with a spring seater to understand what good it does over gravity?

The one I have on my custom die has nothing to do with seater depth either.... matter of fact I can see that it does anything better that say a Hornady sliding sleeve...Actually with my poor vision I can’t see where it does anything at all, just one more needless part. (I know that’s not true or Redding wouldn’t waste time and money with one, it just doesn’t make any sense to me at all).

But since my single stage press is set up with an auto ejector, I have to slightly raise the ram (with a powder filled case) and try to seat a bullet. This is no issue at all with the Hornady and I can do it with my custom spring loaded seater die but it’s harder and more of a PIA gaining me no value at all or done I can understand.

Again thank you for trying to help me u derstand, I do appreciate your effort
Old 01-23-2020, 12:07 AM

Tried my hand at a homemade die the other night. Haven't gotten around to trying it yet but it was made from a scrap piece of barrel. was able to dial it in with my indicating rod then ream it with the pilot on the reamer still.

Another chunk of barrel on left and finished die on the right.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:38 AM

Hi GLWenzel,

like you, I have difficulty to understand why companies like Redding and Forster would use an unnecessary part.

This is just a speculation, but is the spring not there to overcome the thigh tolerances between the die body and the sliding sleeve and the sliding sleeve and the seating stem?

Kindest regards,

M
Old 01-23-2020, 03:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

SS:

did you have any trouble finding a section of bore that
was centered in the barrel?

Some years ago one of the guys in Ga. sent me some old barrels.
One was .40 cal b/p rifle barrel. thinking I wanted a 40 cal blackhawk
I started cutting sections 9" long. Some the bore was within an 1/8" of an
inch of the side. Never did find one that was centered.
Ended up scrapping the whole thing and buying a green mtn blank to make it from.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-23-2020, 03:59 AM

[quote=mefizto;287584]Hi GLWenzel,

like you, I have difficulty to understand why companies like Redding and Forster would use an unnecessary part.

Could just be that they want something different to try and sell their product and it is another marketing thing. Bill K
Old 01-23-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefizto View Post
Hi GLWenzel,

If you look at their product literature they explain it. You can think of it as a way to get a benchrest wilson arbor style die in a RCBS-type press. The spring loaded sleeve lines up everything BEFORE the bullet is seated.