Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-06-2010, 02:37 AM

Default 204 cal. Barnes Varmint Grenade.....

Just wondering if anyone has used these bullets yet and how did they perform on paper and on fur?

I have not had a chance to play with them yet. Looks like they might be some screamers out of a 204 BR Improved. Can you push them too fast?

Thanks for any info.

Your friend, Chucker.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS: is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Supporting Member

I tried them in my Rem sps with no luck . I haven't found a good bullet yet so maybe its my gun or me
Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Supporting Member

Haven't tried the VG in 20 caliber but have tried it lots in 22 and 6mm. They are a long ways from my favourite bullet in either caliber. Not as explosive as many others, poor accuracy out of many guns, particularly slower twist ones, picky about the load they like, but no, never seen one that had been pushed too fast, or rotated to hard. Have pushed the 22 to 3900 out of a 1:7 twist with not disintegration problems. If you need no lead, try the Hornady NTX. If lead isn't a problem, I have found the Horn SP, Vmax or Sierra Blitz and Blitzking to be far superior in all respects to the VGs.

Easy E - my two go to bullets to check accuracy in small calibers is the Hornady SP, and the Sierra Blitzking. If a rifle won't shoot either of these well after trying a couple of the most common powders for the caliber, then time for a new barrel or get rid of the gun. Best of luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Supporting Member

Out of my 204 accuracy was marginal. It took alot of time with .2 grain increments and 3 different powders to come up with a decent load. Beyond 150 yards the bullets really seemed to "wander". Terminal performance was terrible with the lot I had. I ran them up to the 4,300 area out of a 12 twist barrel and they did hold together fine.(did not shoot well @ these velocities) Barnes is sending me some from a different lot number to see if the terminal performance is any better. I don't expect the accuracy issue to change.

Aaron
Old 02-07-2010, 06:16 AM

Default Thanks for the info....

I have a box of the 26 grain stuff, and i was trying to decide if I wanted to expend the powder and primers to see if they will shoot. I will have to wait for old man winter to go away.

Looks like it is back to indoor rimfire for a while.

Thanks guys for your input.

Your friend, Chucker.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS: is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Tried them in my CZ Hornet in 36gr. weight at 3,300fps. They are too long for the 16" twist and won't keep 5 on a regulation 100 yard target, but my buddy Brad is using them in his Ruger Hornet with 1" accuracy. In that gun, at only 3,000fps, they make our ground squirrels blow into chunks. In his Tac.20 with 26gr., (don't know his load), they also shoot about 1". Brad's not especially hot of the bags, BTW so 1" is not as bad as it sounds, he's also found them to be fairly exploasive, but probably not more so than 32gr. Vmaxs. Probably using 10X.