Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 10-24-2019, 12:42 AM

David,

What is the altitude of your hunting location as this has some impact on stability.

I have some of the old 45gr TSX and they do well from a 16.25" 1 in 12" twist .223 Rem TC. Base upset upon muzzle exit from high pressure gasses does come into play. In the past with 69gr Sierras I had success with a slightly faster powder with slightly less velocity than I was were getting with mid range powders, H322 ended up allowing me to stabilize the projectile at around 2680fps. It shot better at that velocity that when I tried to push it faster. That's really counterintuitive, but it works for me.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:31 AM

Altitude is around 3500 feet. I should have mentioned the temperature was between about 35-45 degrees Fahrenheit. I would have liked to have set up the chronograph but the 15 minutes that takes would have gotten me used for target practice a weekend before hunting season opens. I was some what flying blind on this. So when trying to help keep pressure's lower I set the bullets a bit off the rifling, sort of free bore. I think the Copper would have done better if it was set just off the land's.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:41 AM

I have three Hornets with rimfire type extraction and they tend to slip the rim if pressure's get iffy. I would have liked to try these to see if they worked as reliably as the Cooper and CZ but only had the one box of bullets on hand. Also on hand is a Contender with an old Fox Ridge 15 inch custom shop barrel that could be tried. See if the lower velocity had any effect. Sorry about cutting up the post but If I type to long I lose everything when the web site log me off and tells me I need to re-log in. And I type sloooow.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:10 AM

No worries David interesting stuff ive also got some 50gn sp hornadys to try at some point along with 495 45gn sp speers and a 110 loaded factory ammo to shoot before i start loading 🤯😄
Old 10-24-2019, 09:10 AM

A question, how do you know the CZ has a 223 bore ? From my understanding they have been all 224 since the days of the Brno Fox, the earlier ZKW465 had 223 bores but none since.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:32 PM

Short answer is that I don't. I've never slugged a CZ bore. The longer answer is as follows. About six months ago while wandering the web I came across a thread regarding the twist rate in CZ 527 Hornets. One of the posters had a pair of E-mails from CZ-USA. The one from the early 2000's stated that the bores were "223 diameter". The later E-mail was from the early 20teens. CZ-USA said something like " the bore for the 22 Hornet has been standardized at 224 since the 1950"s". So about a decade apart and two different answers. Continued on next post.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:41 PM

When I first purchased a CZ 527 Hornet in 1989 or 90 the pre internet scuttle-butt on them was they had 223 bores. I couldn't find any Hornady 223 diameter Hornet bullets locally so I just used some 224 diameter Hornady Hornet bullets that were on hand. Nothing bad happened so I stopped worrying about it. I didn't think about it for most of the last 30 years until Muznz commented that the Browning A bolt was listed as a 1 in 16 twist rate. The only Hornets with that twist rate that I have are CZ 527'. I wondered how a solid copper bullet would affect pressures as opposed to a cup and core bullet in a 223 bore then. Continued in next post.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:56 PM

And finally if you go to James Calhoun's web site on the bottom of the last page where he sells his take off barrels you'll find this " Hornet barrels are 223 groove diameter and make great replacements for 22 rimfires". So I don't actually know what the diameter of the bores are heck I dont even know that the CZ Hornets have 1 in 16 twist rates as I haven't measured that either it's just what I've heard for the last 30 years or so. I wanted to find out if the 45 grain Barnes TSZ would stabilize in a 1 in 16 twist and the only rifles that I have happen to have with that twist have a reputation for 223 bores. This made me think possible pressure problems.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:00 PM

im no expert on hornet or firearms majorly ive been shooting 224 projectiles in my abolt hornet so not sure if its 223 or 224 bore or 1:16 just going on what browning site listed the twist rate as all i know so far it shoots better than i can 😳 i can seem to work out how to post pics here ethier😳
Old 10-26-2019, 03:22 PM

I know this is not what you are asking but any cup and core .224 50 grain hunting bullet won't act much different than the barnes at hornet velocities.