Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 02-14-2023, 01:48 PM

Default 20/222?

Since I have an extra Defiance Tenacity action in the safe, with the 222 etc, bolt face, and a good supply of 222 brass, I am kicking around doing a 20/222 on it.

Just wondering if any of you have any thoughts on this? Optimal bullet weight, twist, or anything else......or should I do something entirely different on this action? I have a lot so small cal varmint stuff....17AH, 17HH, 17Rem, 204R, 222, 223, 22/250, 22 Cheetah, that's about it....and have plenty of things to take deer with, but probabaly won't be doing much of that anymore. Crows, coyotes, etc, will be most of the targets.

I'm still in the "thinking" stage of all this, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve
Old 02-14-2023, 03:45 PM

You can probably ask ten people and get ten different answers but this is my take on it being a 20 caliber fan as well as a 20-222 owner.

If you're looking for a smaller case 20 Cal. cartridge that feeds/cycles slicker than snot through any small bolt face repeater action you will be very happy with a 20-222. If you want something that shoots a little faster the 20-223 aka 20 Practical or 204 Ruger will both serve you well.

I already had a fast twist 20-250 to shoot the Berger 55's when I had my 20-222 built so I wanted something with a smaller case. I briefly considered going with a 20-221FB. Bought dies and numerous boxes of Lapua 221FB brass but I was using a SA Rem 700 that started life as a 223 and didn't want any of the feeding/extraction issues that would follow using the 221FB case in that particular action and I didn't want to replace the extractor so for me the obvious choice was having a 20-222 built. If I didn't already have my 20-250 I most likely would have had a 20 Practical built. I briefly had a CZ 527 Varmint model 204 Ruger but, at the time, it just didn't overly excite me so I sold it to a buddy of mine who has been thrilled with it ever since. I'm still not exactly sure why but I bought a Tikka Compact in 204 Ruger awhile back so I'm back to having one of those again now too. If someone wants a 20 Cal and they don't reload the 204 Ruger is their only option. It's certainly not a bad option in fact they generally shoot very well, even with factory ammo, it's just a cartridge that for some reason hasn't ever really tripped my trigger but I know plenty of folks that love their 204's.

My 20-222 wears a Hart 11 twist #4 contour finished at 26. I don't know that you really need a 26 inch tube with these and I imagine at some point I'll probably have a few inches lopped off of mine but one thing I'd absolutely make sure of is I wouldn't use anything slower than a 11 twist barrel. I don't know that you need to go 10 twist because a 11tw will shoot up to all of the 40 grainers but if I were in a hurry and could get a 10tw faster than I could an 11tw I'd have no problem snatching up the 10.

I use necked down Lapua 222 brass using a Redding 222 bushing die. Pretty much all I've shot in my 20-222 is 40gr Berger's with H322.

Also, I'd make sure and use a reamer with at least a .235 neck diameter. You can use one with a tighter neck dia. than that but there's a good chance you may need to turn necks too.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:34 PM

B23 is right - you can ask ten different people and you will get ten different answers. I have a 20 Extreme which is the 222 Rem necked down and case shortened to 1.575". That is on a Remington 700 action (formerly a Remington 222 varmint) with a Bob Jury 24", 8 twist heavy varmint barrel. I don't have feeding issues with it and get fantastic accuracy. I had a Trigger Tech trigger on it but just replaced it with a Jard single set. That configuration has not made it to the range yet.
I ordered another barrel that should be ready at the end of March from Bob again. This one will be 24', 10 twist medium sporter contour to go on a Sako L461 action that has been sitting in the corner of a safe for far too long. Already getting excited to piece it together. My son in law is putting a 20 Extreme together as well. He ordered the same barrel as I but has not decided yet as to what action to use.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:08 PM

Both posts are correct on suggestions. I have a CZ 527 rebarreled to a 20 VTT ( One of Kinders cartridges) and it shoots and feeds, just fine with the CZ magazine in 222 Rem or even a 223 Rem one.
For simple, less money for dies, and forming of this and some of the one's mentioned by previous posters, the plain jane 20-222 would work just fine for you.
I use, about 98% of the time, due to my state requiring lead free for game shooting, the Nosler 32 gr lead free tipped, works just great. Plenty fast and accurate as all get out.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:52 AM

Default Steve...

Lots of good info here, all I would stress here is definitely choose the 11 twist as it is about perfect for all the bullets currently available to us except for the 55 Berger, which obviously is best suited in the larger cased 20s.Like B23 I really like using the 40 Berger to check a rifles absolute accuracy.I think you will love the 39 BK too as well and the 40 V-Max, BiBs too.To me the extra weight of the 40 class bullet work so well on Coyotes.The crows will really like the extra speed of the 32s.Zero freebore is something useful in this rig too,especially with all the neck you have with the 222 case.I have definitely gotten a bit tired of neck turning brass,it has its place especially on my comp guns.Hopefully you have a healthy stash of Lapua and you won’t need to neck turn brass.We all know how valuable components have become.In the past I would choose a new guns chambering largely based on what Lapua made brass for.Love the .222 case, as to me and it’s purpose you can’t beat the .222 case as the foundation to an awesome Varmint rig.You certainly have your Varmint hunting bases well covered so far, this one will be pure fun.

Matt