Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 01-17-2023, 08:19 AM

Default 14/221 Walker Load Data

Was wanting to see if anyone might have load data for the 14/221 Walker . Bullets are 8.5 grainers that Carl Chapman from Extreme Accuracy sent me to test . Thanks Pat
Old 01-26-2023, 05:02 PM

Wow, those are awful light for that one.
I shoot a 14 Walker Hornet with 1680, best luck with 12-15 grainers.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:39 AM

Default I finally got some 8.5 grain bullet testing in....

Pat, I finally got a chance to do some testing on the 8.5 grain bullets here. Trying to get the weather and my schedule to align for some range testing has been a struggle.

Sadly my chronograph was not up to the task and it ate up a lot of my time trying to troubleshoot it. You could probably hear me cussing it from there…. ARRGGHH!!!!

I did a quick preliminary run with both IMR 4198 and Hodgdon 4198 to see how the 8.5 grain bullets held up for stability. Ran them in my 14/221 Walkers to get some info that might help you out too. Both of the test guns I used are 1 in 7 twist rates though so it won’t be an apple to apple comparison.

Both rigs showed great stability and decent grouping with the initial load of:
IMR 4198 = 16.2 grains , CCI BR4 primers, 8.5gr Extreme Accuracy Moly coated.
Hodgdon 4198 = 16.2 grains, CCI BR4 primers, 8.5 gr. Extreme Accuracy Moly Coated.

The chronograph started losing them and no longer reading as soon as I stepped above the 4700 fps range. The highest reading I could get was 4760 and it would only capture an occasional round. It was very frustrating to say the least.

Both rigs liked the Hodgdon H-4198 better for some strange reason. The IMR is usually the chosen powder in both of these test guns. Both also showed an improvement in accuracy as soon as I switched over to the CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers. Sadly the chronograph could not get a reading on those test rounds to let me know the speed range on them.

The primers and brass showed no signs of pressure and I was ready to step up the speed a bit but without a chronograph that would tell me where I was at I decided to wait until I have the strain gauge and laptop hooked up to them.

None of the bullets came apart even with a light rain starting to fall. With a 1 in 7 twist rate that put them well above the 480,000 rpm level. The J4 Jackets held up well and had zero failures. In the 1 in 9 twist 5000 fps should not be a problem from the RPM standpoint.

I’ll try to run them in the 14 Hornet Extreme and the 14 TCM Extreme on my next outing. It should give me both ends of the spectrum on the speed range.

Keep me posted on how you do with them and as always stay on target,

Carl C.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:52 AM

Default "light for that one"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim simbari View Post
Wow, those are awful light for that one.
I shoot a 14 Walker Hornet with 1680, best luck with 12-15 grainers.

Tim, from all my work I find the 8.5 to 10.5 grain bullets are one of the best fits for the 14/221 Walker. While I have shot a big heap of 17.5 and 18 grain bullets in our 14/221 Walker's here. In my opinion those are really not the bullets that make the 14/221 Walker shine.

With all that engine room the 14/221 Walker finally comes alive when you drop down to the light bullets. You can then actually use up some of that big engine room and start getting into decent case fill capacity with powders that drive the high end speeds that the 14 caliber has to offer.

I think there is so much miss information on the 14 calibers out there that a lot of people miss some of the best qualities the 14 caliber has to offer.

Wish you the best of luck on your upcoming shoot,

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy
Old 02-22-2023, 03:49 AM

Default 8.5 grain bullet testing results round two.

The weather cleared and I got another chance to run the 8.5 grain bullets with IMR 4198 and Hodgdon 4198 in the 14/221 Walker today. I only ran them in 1 test rifle this time and again it’s a 1 in 7 twist rates so it won’t be an apple to apple comparison.

The bullets still showed great stability and pretty good grouping with a load of:

IMR 4198 = 16.6 grs, 16.8 grs and 17.0 grains , (5 shots each powder loading), CCI BR4 primers, 8.5 gr Extreme Accuracy Moly coated.

Hodgdon 4198 = 16.6, 16.8 grains, CCI BR4 primers, 8.5 gr. Extreme Accuracy Moly Coated.

The chronograph could not pick up any of the shots fired today. I think the bullet speeds are just way too fast for the CED Millennium chronograph. From running the loads in quick load they should be clocking in just over 4900 fps. (I normally find the quick load data to be pretty close on this test barrel.) Quick load predicted 4929 fps for the 17.0 grain load of IMR-4198.

The IMR-4198 stepped up its game today and did better on this round of testing then the Hodgdon-4198. All rounds were fired with CCI-BR4 primers. I’ll try to switch back over to the CCI-450 as soon as I get in the next accuracy node to see if it tunes in better.

(I did not get a chance to finish out the 17.0 grain load on the Hodgdon 4198 for this test.)

All of the bullets held together with no bullet blow ups even though they must have been clocking in at over 500,000 RPM’s. I’m very impressed with this core and jacket combo. Normally anything at or above a 15 grain bullet weight would have started to come apart already.

At the end of my test I ran 2 test rounds into 2 full soda cans to show a couple folks what they will do. Both cans turned into 2 flat sheets of aluminum foil with a lot of wet mist in the air. Both of the guys watching were pretty awestruck at the results.

I think I can even push these bullets in the 1 in 7 twist barrels up the 5000 fps range. I saw zero core melt outs and the holes in the paper were all perfectly cut. All primers and brass showed no signs of pressure at this point.

I hope these test results can help you in your testing as well.

As always stay on target,
Carl C.

Extreme accuracy
Old 03-06-2023, 04:02 AM

Default Oehler 35P and accuracy node on the H-4198.

Woodchuck, not sure how your testing is going but I picked up an old Oehler 35P and was running the second test rifle in 14/221 Walker up through the ladder test over it. (This barrel is a 1 in 7 twist as well)

It hit an accuracy node on the H-4198 at 16.8 grains of powder with the 8.5 gr bullet. The old Oehler chronograph was up to the challenge and didn't miss a shot. Readings were in the 4805 fps range. The load was using the CCI-450 primer and it really dialed in with the load. Put 3 through the same hole which with a 14 caliber is saying something. The first 2 rounds were 1/4 apart and about 1/4 inch away from the other 3. I'm guessing that was me getting used to the different trigger on this rifle.

I will be revisiting this load in both test guns again later after working up to higher speeds. If the guns don't find another accuracy node at the higher speeds this might be the sweet spot for the 1 in 7 twist barrels as the RPM's are getting way above where I thought I would start loosing them. ( I think I'll try 16.7 and 16.9 grain charges when I come back to this node.)

Please keep me posted on how your testing goes and with what speeds your getting on the shorter barrel lengths with the light bullets.

Wish you the best of luck on your upcoming shoots,

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy