Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2023, 07:11 AM

Default Your thoughts on this please

Hello gentlemen, old guy new to the site. A few members here recommend I ask my question here.

If you want the ultimate experiment make it 4.5x28. 5.7 brass is not as hard to find.

I'll give you the reader's digest version. This was from a post on rimfire central and we were discussing rechambering a 17hmr into 17wsm for a g1 and all the issues that would be involved. Then a guy posted the above sentence and no elaboration. Then I looked up 5.7x28 and it made me go hum? Not knowing the it's & outs of wildcating and pressures I wanted to run this past someone who might know. Can the 5.7x28 be resized down to 17 cal? Is there a reason someone wouldn't or shouldn't? It was recommend posting this questions on saubier. Looking forward to your thoughts on this.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

well here is a picture of a coyote shot with a 17x28 aka 17 v-raptor and 17 vha. (all pretty much the same and can be made from 5.7x28 or 4.6x30). was shot with a 17 gr vmax at 3950 fps. ran about 50 yards , stumbled and fell over. i was hunting fox at the time but as usual you have to use what you have in your hands at the time.

also shot this fox with it the same day with the same load. you can get 4130 fps with the 15.5 ntx, 3950 with the 17 vmax ,3750 with the 20 gr vmax and about 3250 with a 25gr bullet. other than that, i don't know anything about it.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:22 PM
Supporting Member

Foxhunter just pretty much covered it. Something old is new again.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:48 PM

My concern with anything based off that little FN five seven case would be how thin that stuff is. I have a FN five seven pistol and it's a really cool looking little cartridge and fun to shoot but that brass isn't without it's quirks. It has that weird lacquer coating that some say shouldn't ever be cleaned off while others claim it's a non issue. It could be mostly relevant to semi autos and less in bolt actions. I know the brass is very thin stuff.

A five seven case necked down to 17 and stuffed with a 20gr Vmax or even a 15.5 Vmax or a 20 cal version seated with something like Hornady's 24gr NTX would make for a hot looking little cartridge and probably a good replacement for the Hornet but the FN five seven brass being so thin and quirky not to mention I'm not sure what action you'd use for a bolt gun build would cause me pause but no doubt a FN 17x28 or 20x28 would be a cool looking little bugger.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:12 PM

the 5.7x28 has some quirks, it has a 10000 psi lower threshold than the 4.6x30 case. it has a plastic coating, some have removed it and it worked fine. one thing to keep in mind you don't need to have the higher psi brass since the little cartridge kills way out of proportion to case size.
as to platforms to build on, not many. my first 30 years ago was a 17 hmr tc rechambered. next was a cooper model 38 (best as a singleshot, last was a cz527 22 hornet rebarreled and had the bolt face bushed to hold the thinner rim on the 5.7x28 czse. rifle feed from the magazine ok for several years. then i dropped the magazine and all hell broke loose. it now has a calhoon single shot mag.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:08 AM

Great feed back. Have never heard of 17 v-raptor or 17 vha. Kinda sounds like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel? This would be for the contender. Looking for small caliber precision with minimal recoil. Been banging away for years with 300 win mag & 454 casull and just over it. Largest in the safe is a 308 now.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:28 AM

Foxhunter...Thank you. I have tried to reply to your message and it disappears every time I send it.
What year was that article you sent me?
Old 03-01-2023, 03:23 PM

In a contender I'd also consider a hornet based wildcat. 17 squirrel, mink or full length Ackley Hornet
Old 03-01-2023, 04:16 PM

rimed cases do well in a tc, 17 hornady hornet, unless you have a large supply of 5.7x28 brass.
there is just something about achieving 3750 fps with a 20 gr vmax bullet with just 10.3 gr of powder. the 17 v-raptor has long been my favorite jack and fox cartridge.

if anyone wants a copy of my original article on the 17 v-raptor aka 17 velociraptor from the small caliber news just drop me a pm,
Old 03-05-2023, 04:04 AM

Thanks again guys for all the insight...I just showed up a few years late to the dance. Probably one of the older first graders but along with my adult son, we're having fun learning the ropes.