Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-31-2023, 02:37 PM

Default 17 HH - I get it.

So after being swamped with rimfire for more than a few years, I finally had the change to shoot my 17 HH that's been sitting unfired in the safe for the past 3 years.

Holy smokes, it's a beast on squirrels. I have always seen my .20 VT as the perfect squirrel round, but the 17 HH has me impressed more than I had anticipated.

s
Old 05-31-2023, 02:42 PM

I had to stop using the 17HH for hunting rabbits, even head shots made quite a mess of the shoulder meat went back to the good ole 22 hornet
Old 05-31-2023, 02:47 PM

It is surprising how destructive that little 17 HH can be, compared to the bullets used in a 22 hornet.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEM View Post
I had to stop using the 17HH for hunting rabbits, even head shots made quite a mess of the shoulder meat went back to the good ole 22 hornet
did you try the 15.5 ntx on head shots? what bullets have you tried? the hornet gives you a thicker jacket and much lower velocities= less destruction. just my opinion
Old 05-31-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
did you try the 15.5 ntx on head shots? what bullets have you tried? the hornet gives you a thicker jacket and much lower velocities= less destruction. just my opinion
The 15.5 NTX is all I shoot in my 17's now that I must use lead free in my commie state. They totally destroy the area they hit, other than larger prey, they enter and gel the insides.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
The 15.5 NTX is all I shoot in my 17's now that I must use lead free in my commie state. They totally destroy the area they hit, other than larger prey, they enter and gel the insides.
I've shot the 15.5gr in my 17 Hornets and the similar, but definitely not the same bullet, 15gr in my 17 WSM and they're, both, nasty little buggers.

Hard to believe such a tiny little bullet could ever be so destructive, but they certainly are!

Few years ago Eric Mayer had an awesome video of him shooting sage rats with one of his 17 WSM's using the 15gr ammo. Upon impact it, literally, looked as if the sage rat had just swallowed a grenade. If I recall Eric's video showed a real time and slow mo and to this day it's one of the coolest splat factor videos I've ever seen.

Eric passes through here from time to time so maybe he'll see this and post a link to it. If anyone likes to see the "splat factor" it's a good one to watch.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve b. View Post
So after being swamped with rimfire for more than a few years, I finally had the change to shoot my 17 HH that's been sitting unfired in the safe for the past 3 years.

Holy smokes, it's a beast on squirrels. I have always seen my .20 VT as the perfect squirrel round, but the 17 HH has me impressed more than I had anticipated.

s
I can't imagine that there would be anything left to eat after a shot from that.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:09 AM

No doubt about that. They would vanish from their spot in a hurry. It's a fun rifle and being a single shot makes feeding ultra smooth.

s
Old 06-01-2023, 08:54 AM

Default Would love...

To get an an Anschutz in 17 HH one day, hopefully they become available again. Just saw that you moved away from them.Hope you still are amicable, glad your commute is better

Matt

Last edited by 17VLD; 06-01-2023 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:48 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I've shot the 15.5gr in my 17 Hornets and the similar, but definitely not the same bullet, 15gr in my 17 WSM and they're, both, nasty little buggers.

Hard to believe such a tiny little bullet could ever be so destructive, but they certainly are!

Few years ago Eric Mayer had an awesome video of him shooting sage rats with one of his 17 WSM's using the 15gr ammo. Upon impact it, literally, looked as if the sage rat had just swallowed a grenade. If I recall Eric's video showed a real time and slow mo and to this day it's one of the coolest splat factor videos I've ever seen.

Eric passes through here from time to time so maybe he'll see this and post a link to it. If anyone likes to see the "splat factor" it's a good one to watch.

I think this might be what you mentioned. Skip to 2:26:

https://youtu.be/gUXgWJiNyDg

It's a heck of a bullet!