Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2011, 05:08 PM

Default Neck Tension?

Just a simple question for to day, on my .17 AH what would be good neck tension, i was thinking around two thou? what does every one else think.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:17 PM

Normally you want .002-.003 neck tension.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 PM

Thanks rickiesrevenge thats about what i was thinking.

Alan.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan.204 View Post
Just a simple question for to day, on my .17 AH what would be good neck tension, i was thinking around two thou? what does every one else think.
The question of neck tension using a measurement is usless unless you know the hardness of the brass because 0.002" grip on a newly annealed neck will give a differant tension on one that has been fired 5 times amd different again on one that has been shot 10 times.
If you load a few rounds in newly annealed cases then a few in 5 times shot case you will imediatly notice the increased effort required to load the latter and if its harder going in its harder coming out,
This is of course is in factory chambered guns not fitted neck chambering.
I used to work up loads in the same 5 cases with the same sequnce ie.
measure and record rim,head and outside neck size load and fire all and measure and record same then prep and reload same brass with 0.2gr increase in charge and carry on untill i got any increase in head size and that was the first indication of an unsafe load and was backed of by 0.2gr and that was my max load for that combination but not nessesary the one i would use.
My point is the difference in effort to seat the heads in the same cases was evident of increased neck tension every time it was used.
I dont know the answer to this but i re-annealed every one of my cases and once fired are put in a box marked ( used once ) and once i have used all my re-annealed cases i will start using the ( used once )ones and put them in a box marked yes you are right ( used twice ) and so on and in that way i hope to keep my neck grip/tension as uniform as possable
Wally