Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 11-04-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george ulrich View Post
no need to worry i have lard oil mixed with lanolin i have used for many years more than 10 anyway i also have a few gallons of lard oil i use around the shop never been refrigerated just kept closed when not in use. neither item has spoiled they are kept pretty much at 70-75 degrees if that makes any difference. george
Thanks. Do you know where lard oil can be purchased these days?
John
Old 11-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Supporting Member

lard oil can be bought from geo. pfau co. jeffersonville in. its been quite a while since i bought any i know they are still there its where i used to live not sure which grade , best to talk to them and tell them you want lube for drawing metals if this doesn't work i can probably find the correct type . george
Old 11-04-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
lard oil can be bought from geo. pfau co. jeffersonville in. its been quite a while since i bought any i know they are still there its where i used to live not sure which grade , best to talk to them and tell them you want lube for drawing metals if this doesn't work i can probably find the correct type . george
I'll look them up on the net. Thanks

John
Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 PM

Default What we do

These are all good methods. We use straight anhydrous lanolin for everything. We have experimented with many other combinations but end up going back to straight lanolin.

We cut a square piece of plastic and after removing static (if there is any) we put it on a grain scale (we have several Ohaus .00 grain scales) and zero the scale. The lanolin is scooped out of the tub with a blunt knife like piece of metal and scrapped onto the plastic. The plactis is weighed and the amount of lanolin is adjusted until the desired amount is achieved.

We take the square piece of plastic with the lanonlin to the glass jar and spread the lanolin inside the jar. The piece of plastic is wiped clean of lanilon. A blow dryer stlye heater (they are industrial strength I believe meant for painting applications) is used to blow hot air into the glass jar. The lanolin becomes liquid and is then spread around the inside of the jar until it is a very thin film.

The jackets are poured into the glass jar and the whole thing is tumbled for 1 hour.

Regards,
Eric
Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Supporting Member

eric, i like the pure lanolin also exept i cut with m.e.k. to thin then tumble m.e.k. will evaporate when tumbling george this is just one of many cocktails that are used
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
eric, i like the pure lanolin also exept i cut with m.e.k. to thin then tumble m.e.k. will evaporate when tumbling george this is just one of many cocktails that are used
What does M.E.K. stand for?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Mek

MEK = Methyl Ethyl Ketone. A very potent solvent, very flammable and can have some harmful health concerns if mis-used. It can be bought at some hardware stores I believe, just be sure to read the label and understand the hazards before use.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Supporting Member

And don't spill it on the hood of your neighbors car it will peel the paint in no time.

ML
Old 11-14-2007, 09:26 PM

Default How Much Lube?

From what I understand, the amount of lube is measured by weight. How much lube is normally used for a batch of jackets? If you're using a bullet tray, is there a concern about the lube being removed in the process of loading the jackets into the trays.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 PM

Default amount

the amount depends on your dies, the caliber, and so on and so forth. I'll give you a reference point for what I use with carbide bullet dies, the lube that we use, and .30 caliber 1" jacket bullets.

We use 7.5 grains typically for a bucket of 1,000 1" j4 jackets. The use of trays doesn't seem to bother the lube. This type of lube seems to be pretty sticky and adheres to the jackets pretty well. I would guess that the method described by Eric Stecker would be even better in terms of jackets holding the lube. The lube consistency resembles a solid moreso than a liquid, it is pretty thick stuff and seems to stick to the jackets more than your fingers.

When our dies were new, and we were still learning the process, we were using a good bit more lube, like 11 grains.

what type of dies are you using, what type of jackets, caliber, etc.? that will help folks give you better advice on amount of lube.