Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-21-2018, 12:18 AM

Default K Hornet reloading Q's

I'm newer to reloading but I do reload for 223rem.

Looking to start loading my k hornet but not sure which direction to go on dies. I've got and used only Lee precision and have no complaints. Looking at their collet neck sizing for set for $70 but they require 2 fireformed cases for making the dies plus 8 weeks lead time. I'd like to get going on my brass sooner. I wouldn't think custom dies would be necessary for neck sizing only?

What do the 22K reloaders here use? I'd like to go cost efficient when possible.

Thank You
Old 12-21-2018, 01:07 AM

Default 22kh

I loaded for the 22 k hornet for a tear or so, then sold the gun.
I used either RCBS or Redding standard two piece die sets. Believe IT was RCBS.
That worked fine.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:34 AM

Hornady ".22 caliber short neck die"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HORNADY-Rel...cAAOSw~29byfIy

And for bullet seating a Hornady 22 Hornet seating die with sliding bullet collar.......

Linked here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornady-New...sAAOSwxO9cAvCG
Old 12-21-2018, 03:56 AM

the best part of the ^ Hornady items ^ is your not limited to just one cartridge
Old 12-21-2018, 10:05 AM
Board Sponsor

Redding is what I've always used and they are much better in quality than Lee. Considering you'd have to go the custom route with Lee, you may as well spend the same amount of money on a set of Redding dies. Graf has the Redding, RCBS, and Hornady all in stock. Link below:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...tegoryId/1903?

Redding 56.33
RCBS 63.64
HDY 72.19
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 12-21-2018, 04:48 PM

Ordered up the hornady dies. I should have my first K Hornet loads ready for the new year.

I'm looking to run pistol primers in fireformed hornady brass. 40gr hornady ballistic tips in front of lil gun powder.

Ideas on starting powder load? And then what increments for a ladder test? .1gr I'd think.

Thanks for the info this far guys.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:24 PM

Default Hornet reloading Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnfish08 View Post
Ordered up the hornady dies. I should have my first K Hornet loads ready for the new year.

I'm looking to run pistol primers in fireformed hornady brass. 40gr hornady ballistic tips in front of lil gun powder.

Ideas on starting powder load? And then what increments for a ladder test? .1gr I'd think.

Depending on the bullet & powder your will be using, start with the start load shown in your reloading manual, for the powder you will using and work up 1/10th at a time on your ladder test. Bill K
Old 12-21-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnfish08 View Post

I've never used Lil Gun in K hornet. Although I strictly use it in standard 22 hornet.

I've heard it can be finicky(meaning the same charge used in standard 22 hornet may blow primers in K hornet cases) with the K hornet case, then on the other hand I've heard others who swear by it.

The "standard load" in a 22 hornet is around 13.0gr, I've heard that K hornet sometimes can't handle as much powder, something to do with a more efficient case.............

I have strictly used AA1680 in my two K hornets with results too good to mess with.

As far as pistol primers........YES, great move there. I use CCI 500 in standard hornets with Lil Gun and in my K hornets with AA1680.

I'm curious as to what rifle your working with?
Old 12-21-2018, 05:43 PM

The rifle is a Stevens 322a K'ed.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:25 PM

I only have standard 22 Hornets, not a K-Hornet. I have the Hornady short NS die, and it works great for both the Hornet and the 221FB. Be careful with your loads with Lil'Gun. Many folks like it, but I have gotten some erratic results with it. Also, Hornet brass varies quite a bit between brass manufacturers. Remington brass holds almost a whole grain of powder more than W-W, and other brands are somewhere between. I suggest you pick the brass you like and stick with it.