Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-05-2019, 05:44 PM

I have a 6x45 in a black rifle with a 1/8 and 1/12 twist barrels, a 6x47 in a Rem 700 with a 1/14 and a KoO with a 1/9 twist. Other than the Rem 700, the actions are slightly on the short side for the round and the 700 doesn't make use of the longer action as it has a slow twist barrel for light bullets. That said, you can push 85 grain hunting bullets to about 2800 fps from a 22" barrel with the 6x45.
Still wanting a small bolt action rifle but avoiding the COL issue I built a 6mmAR(6mmx6.5 Grendel) on a CZ527 action with a 1/10 twist Shilen barrel. I can approximate the 250-3000 of an 87 grain bullet at 3000 fps.

I think you made a good choice going with a zero free-bore reamer for a rifle built on a Sako action.

A CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39 would have been another option if you wanted availability of factory ammo.
I can get a 150 grain bullet out of a 18.5" CZ carbine barrel at 2200 fps, or about the same as 30-30.

Last edited by Johnly; 10-05-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Thanks for the replies, will be glad to have any others. I have purchased a Brux 1-8 barrel and a zero freebore reamer. Was planning to use 90 BT in it probably with AA2200. Won't that bullet work well at ~2700 fps MV?

Oso Polaris, I agree that the 300BLK would be a good choice also, but I already have one of those, killed my last deer with it. Looking to do something a little different ya know.
I love my little 300BO...just right for stalking and kid friendly...not to mention the giggles I get when I shoot it with subs at the range. Everybody wants a turn and its really quiet even compared to suppressed AR15.

Totally understand wanting to try something different! I designed my 6x45 as an Ackley Improved. This was not based on increasing case capacity, but rather to insure that no one could/would accidentally load one of my 6x45AI cartridges into a 223 rifle (bolt or AR). With the case dimensions blown out as Ackley Improved there is no way for a bolt to close on a 223 chamber.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
I'm building something similar but on the AR platform and it has similar mag length restrictions. (2.26 nominally and 2.315 with specialty mags) I made an improved wildcat that has the same body diameter as the .223 AI but with a 30' shoulder and slightly shorter neck than the 6x45 and .150" shorter over all case length.

However like you mentioned 6x45 in these mag length restrictions limit bullet selection to the sub 85gr bullets. I wanted a fun long range plinker that I could shoot with less recoil/money than my .260/.308 yet offer similar external ballistics. With these new ultra high bc bullets what it lacks in velocity it will pick up by bucking the wind.

here is a hydro formed case next to a .223. This little guy is holding a 105gr pill inside.

I've compared 6x45 to my cat in QL and there is a few gr. more "useable" case capacity than the 6x45. not to mention the ogive would be inside the case neck on the 6x45 vs mine.

This is more an exercise of trying something different. I actually spec'd the reamer for a full 1.75" length case and with the bullet seated so the boat tail is at the shoulder transition (2.6+ COAL) However I don't have the money for a donor rifle yet and Piecing together an AR is a cake walk for me. Already have the blanks so only cost me a Extension and spun one up, then already had extra parts to build another upper.

Here is the bullet seating length that I spec'd the reamer out at. There long!

End goal is a Howa MINI with DBM for mags that will fit these long boogers. QL predicts 2600 ft/sec from the full length cartridge with 105's and 24" tube and 2400 from a 14" -.150" 2.3" COAL AR.
The hydro-formed case looks very similar to my 80% Fire-formed Case (Cornmeal method). From as aesthetics perspective, I liked the look of the rounded "bell" shoulder reminiscent of a Weatherby cartridge.

After doing a bunch of testing the best longest case length that I could achieve was only 1,745" after blowing out the shoulder and necking up the case to 6mm. I had custom reamer designed around it.

Pride of ownership goes into this gun. After all the work ... 6TCU is probably easier option then creating custom 6x45AI cartridge.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 10-05-2019 at 11:00 PM.