Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-24-2012, 04:09 PM

I agree with Gary on the extra danger for Cooper shooters.

I ended up with a batch of the Remington primers that kept blowing out on the edge. The gases and debris hit directly on the shooting glasses in front of my right eye. I have minor damage to the bolt nose and glasses, but none to my right eye.

The primers are somewhere in the land fill. I wish I would have written down the lot number so I would never buy them again.

Bob, Glad you are OK and had your safety glasses on.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:54 PM

Default Bhb

Seems as though the rifle was most accurately named..... Seriously, I'm glad you are fine, thank you for sharing. I get lazy at times regarding safety, great reminder. Mark
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Supporting Member

Glad your ok but this is a topic that we don't pay near enough time on so I appreciate your honesty and hopefully we don't make you regret it ..."but"...I had freckles on my nose once too. The big similarity I see between my experience and yours is I shot another one after the first one pierced as well . Never again! I move a lot slower now and feel real good about it .
I know I come off like the "Social Avenger" too much but I still have that picture of Randy Merta's eye surgery in my mind...a lot! Makes a guys knees quiver!
We need to face the facts that what we do with the smaller calibers like the .17's and .20's is "WAY" less forgiving than with the .22's and up.
I truly appreciate you manning up that others could give things a good thinking Bob, a generous and humble thing to do, no kidding. We all need to be aware that on a lotta this stuff we're .2 of a grain away from disaster more often than we know. As Kenny so aptly put it "Cause a lotta times we're getting away with murder", never been truer words spoken!

P.S.
I too have speckles in my shooting glasses from popping a couple primers in a Cooper, "STRAIGHT BACK"!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:08 AM
Supporting Member

Default Two Mistakes I omitted in original post

I actually loaded 4 different loads for this test run and fire forming. All were H4895 25 gr, 25.5 gr,26 gr and 26.5 gr. I loaded 5 of each. I always bag each individual load group in it's own zip-lock sandwich bag. MISTAKE #1, I reused bags from a previous run of 17 PPC. I did not clearly mark my fresh loads for the 17 Beggs. After piercing two primers with the 25.5 gr loads I reached for the bag clearly marked 25 gr. MISTAKE #2, I did not pay close enough attention to my writing. This bag marked 25 actually was marked that for the previous 17 PPC loads! This bag was marked 26 gr on the other side.
From this moment forward I will ALWAYS use a note card with the load written on it inside each bag. Guys one innocent moment can end in catastrophe.

Rifle is in UPS's hands as I write this. Headed to Douglas, Wy for Marty to repair my damage.

BHB
Old 02-25-2012, 03:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Thanks for sharing this Bob, glad you're ok.
Sure helps to read about the Coopers-------now that I've already done the test loads w/o problems even though I did go ahead and fire one more after seeing it was 'maxed'.
Good lesson here, "DON'T DO THAT--it MIGHT bite you!"
I'll keep it in mind about Cooper's now, thanks GW.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 PM

Glad your ok .

Years ago a 16 year old lad brought me his Remington 700 to check over .It was a 7mm rem mag and some how he loaded a 270 win round and managed to fire it . The escaping gas blew a piece of material into his right eye ,doctor could remove it but 50-50 chance of lose of his eye .

2 things ;
No safety glasses
did not check ammo / gun caliber

over 40 years of shooting I too have pierced primers and even blown primer right out of the pockets ----way over the limits .

Always wear safety gear and if excessive pressure shows up STOP IMMEDIATELY and re-evaluate.

Safe shooting ,
Chris
Old 02-25-2012, 03:47 PM

Whoa Hoss!! What's the story behind that one??? Meaning that Ruger #1

For those who may think this is all blather, I'm living with one eye due to a similar incident. Back in '81, I made a huge reloading mistake, grabbing a purple colored can of powder I assumed to be H380 and loading a batch of 30-06 with H4227 by mistake -- H U G E mistake! Story on request.

This is one of those incidents that should be a wakeup call to each and every one of us who reload, and particularly those of us who load wildcats, to be extremely cautious when wandering into the unknown and wary when wandering into what we assume to be "known."

"Ennnyway," glad to hear that you came through this with all your parts intact, in spite of a wounded schnozzola.

Last edited by dungheap; 02-26-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Supporting Member

Default One more war story?

Last year before Elk season, I was checking the zero on my Dads .270. He produced what looked like a new box of Remington ammo to sight his gun with. I fired a three shot group and checked the target with the spotting scope. Needed to move left 2 inches. I made the necessary scope adjustment and fired another round. Suprise! the bolt on the pre'64 would not open. After some effort my son and I were able to open the bolt. The primer was pierced and flattened and I should have know to back off and reacess the situation. After all this was "new" factory ammo so I proceeded to chamber and fire another round. This time the recoil and muzzle blast were quite significant. After some effort we extracted the case. The primer was not to be found and the case head was more oval shaped than round. To make a long story short I took the gun along with the spent cases to a local gun smith to be checked out. He checked head space and the bolt and found no damage. I corresponded with Remington and sent them the entire box of ammo and the spent cases. They found that the ammo had been manufactured 20 plus years ago. They had no records of any other problems with this lot number. Their test revealed that the powder had degraded and the bullets had "bonded" to the case. The storage of the ammo (possible excess heat) was the main suspect for the problem. (They did reimburse the cost of the ammo) The morale of this is 'wear your PPE at all times' even with factory ammo. You will shoot better with your shooting eye on the same side as your trigger finger!!
P.S. anyone have an estimate of the chamber pressure required to deform a case head in this maner?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
rider;131767]After all this was "new" factory ammo so I proceeded to chamber and fire another round.

They found that the ammo had been manufactured 20 plus years ago. They had no records of any other problems with this lot number. Their test revealed that the powder had degraded and the bullets had "bonded" to the case. The storage of the ammo (possible excess heat) was the main suspect for the problem.

The morale of this is 'wear your PPE at all times' even with factory ammo. You will shoot better with your shooting eye on the same side as your trigger finger!!
Awesome info, thanks for sharing! One should never assume anything even if its factory ammo.

For some reason I never seemed to think that once loaded powder degrading... Now where did I get that??? But on the bonded bullet thing I have seen that to different degrees and like I just told one of you guys on the phone last week I use to load a minimum of 500 of everything up but have since stopped that practice and load as I need to just for that one reason… never occurred to me that it would actually be enough to cause a big problem other than a flyer.

We use an acronym at work STAR/ Stop Think Act Review. I think it could be applied here… Although here I have been known to STAR another way…. Save Time Ask Ray...

Last edited by GLWenzl; 02-26-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

In other words I'm asking for trouble's having three? yr old buckets full of .223 and pistol ammo just waiting on me to get around to shoot it up?

Around 20yrs ago one of the late wife's cousin's was telling me how he had used a beat up old M94 for elk quite a few yrs. Since at that time I was no longer hunting I offered to loan him my /17 Enfield .300Win/M and furnish the ammo. Couple months later when I went back to his place. He handed me a 7mmag case with several splits on the shoulder.
That was the second shot he'd fired, missed the target and saw the splits, put it all away until I got back up there, he used the '94 again and since far as I know.
That was MY screw up as I'd loaded both batch's of ammo and got some mixed up in the 50rd box's. There were a few other 7's in that box too.
When I got home, all the boxes came out for inspection. Needless to say, there were others where they shouldn't have been. He'd never been around either carts before and didn't know the difference between them even if he had noticed.

I always look at each case before loading, or putting them in my pocket on a hunt and have never had such things happen to me, even though I have found the wrong one a very few times. Those shell's had been in those boxes at least 5yrs as I hadn't fired a gun in at least that long. All my equipment and guns had been put away due to marrying a 'bambi lover" I thought was more important to please than go hunting.

Lotta lesson's to be learned here, real good thread, keep it up.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"