Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2019, 12:00 PM

Default .17 Hornet barrel length

Now that the rifle is bought has anyone played with a shorter barrel length? In the 20 to 16" length, this rifle will always be shot with suppressor.

I know with the sub calibers speed is were the magic comes from but how much barrel length do you need for 10 to 13 grains of powder? I have run a 12.5 SBR .223 on coyotes for years without issue.

I looked for some pistol data but came up short?

Thanks guys
Old 10-10-2019, 03:00 PM

I am assuming that you want to stay rifle length (+16") without need for SBR stamp. It's hard to get people to voluntarily chop their barrels in the name of science. I did a quick search and didn't find anything "scientific" with most being anecdotal. I even tried looking up 17 Fireball and 221 Fireball for a comparison...no luck...everybody likes their rifles too much to cut.

There is a several barrel length vs velocity comparative chart for the 223 and 3000BO, which were driven by peoples interest in SBR for these cartridges. Although not the same cartridges, it is interesting to see the point at which the majority of velocity is achieved and diminishing contribution of each additional inch after that point. I think at 18" you will not be giving up much velocity, and if you really wanted to maximize portability you could go 16".

Here are a couple of articles, but not great fit for your rifle.

https://www.bullberry.com/17-hmr-velocity-data

http://saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28684
Old 10-10-2019, 03:23 PM

I've run plenty of short barrels. 18" .17 Remington, 16" .223, 6x45 and a 16.5" .22 Creedmoor. All have killed just fine. I dont believe I own anything with a barrel long than 20" anymore. If I cant find anything I'll cut it to 20 or 18" and be done with it. Was hoping someone had pistol data and I would make a decision of it.

SBR a .223 for my 300 yards and in calling rifle. Its light points well and kills well. Running 60 v Max's most coyotes look like they were shot with a .17 Remington
I couldn't believe it at first. I'm about 100 coyotes in with it and it's still holding true. Between the fast twist and slightly slower speeds it's a perfect combination.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Parker View Post
I've run plenty of short barrels. 18" .17 Remington, 16" .223, 6x45 and a 16.5" .22 Creedmoor. All have killed just fine. I dont believe I own anything with a barrel long than 20" anymore. If I cant find anything I'll cut it to 20 or 18" and be done with it. Was hoping someone had pistol data and I would make a decision of it.

SBR a .223 for my 300 yards and in calling rifle. Its light points well and kills well. Running 60 v Max's most coyotes look like they were shot with a .17 Remington
I couldn't believe it at first. I'm about 100 coyotes in with it and it's still holding true. Between the fast twist and slightly slower speeds it's a perfect combination.
For 2 second this morning I thought I was a genius looking for 221 Fireball data... I was sure I would find data on different short length barrels from pistol shooters and then longer barrel length data from rifle shooters. No such luck. The Hornet has approximately 60% of case capacity/powder volume of a .223. Based on .223, I can't imagine that you would loose much even at 16" barrel. I went with 18" on my CZ527 - it has nice balanced even with the can on it. Now when I start thinking <16 inches then it is immediately an AR15 upper...no need to buy another stamp. If the caliber won't run in SBR AR15 then I find one that will or live with +16" barrel on a bolt gun.

I think the forum is in agreement...
You need to file a Form 1 (SBR) and then start with 22" barrel. Shoot 10 shot group over chrony, and then cut and inch off and repeat until your barrel is touching the tip of stock's forearm...in the name of "Science"
Old 10-10-2019, 06:21 PM

Oso,

Lol, nice try though. I dont own a chrono so I wont be much use. I normally just shoot at 100 to 1000 and check drops till they match up with the bigger calibers and 100 to 500 with the smaller ones. I figure it gets me close enough and what my actual drop are, are more important. I will just pull the barrel this weekend and cut and thread it and see what I decide when I do it. I agree shorter barrels are nice and balance better when you have a suppressor.

I am considering sbr ing a bolt gun my other is an ar but havent decided what bolt face I want.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:31 PM

Years ago, in the late 80's, I did a bunch of testing with 5.56/223 55gr FMJ ammo in various barrel lengths that my friends and I had available to us. Together, we had a HK53 with 8.5", a 14" Contender, 16 and 20" ARs, and bolt actions in 20", 22" and 26" barrels. All the rifles were shot over the same Shooting Chrony. Did a least-squares fit to the data, it resulted in 29 fps/in of barrel length. Hope this will help some.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Parker View Post
Oso,

Lol, nice try though. I dont own a chrono so I wont be much use. I normally just shoot at 100 to 1000 and check drops till they match up with the bigger calibers and 100 to 500 with the smaller ones. I figure it gets me close enough and what my actual drop are, are more important. I will just pull the barrel this weekend and cut and thread it and see what I decide when I do it. I agree shorter barrels are nice and balance better when you have a suppressor.

I am considering sbr ing a bolt gun my other is an ar but havent decided what bolt face I want.
My SBR's are 12" of less, and the reason is for concealability, portability, and/or shooting efficiency (small round with small powder charge). The modular design of the AR platform favors an SBR configuration as compared to the bolt gun's fixed stock. For me if I am only thinking about shaving off 1-2 inches, such as a 14.5" Grendel, then it's going to be a new upper for an existing SBR'd lower. I think that SBR really shines on smaller calibers (lower case capacity) that need less barrel length to achieve full burn. The case capacity of most cartridges larger that a .223 become inefficient with increasing volumes of unspent powder. The 5.7x28mm is too small of a case... I'd get arthritis trying to reload it.

Okay ... you have sold me ... mini action (CZ, Sako, Howa, whatever) with 12.5" barrel length that is chambered in 17 Fireball or 20 Vartarg... have you thought of just going the XP100 pistol route?

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 10-10-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:47 AM

Most of my TC barrels are 18 or 20 inch. The CZ's are 21.5 and are not at all unhandy to carry, etc. Average on my bench varmint rifles is 24 inch. All shoot well and group, after a workup on a load or two.
So what ever you feel comfortable with, go for it. Bill K
Old 10-11-2019, 06:35 AM

I have two CZ 527 Varmint model 17 Hornets, the varmint model comes with a 24in barrel. My first one I had the barrel cut back to 21 inches when it was in getting threaded and my second has been set back and re-chambered so it's a little over 23 inches now. The velocity difference between the two is very minimal.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:49 PM

I have a couple CZ . 17 hornets, in New Zealand, I had the Varmint 24" chopped to 20" and threaded for a suspressor,
Velocity loss was from 3780 with 24" tube to 3730. Fps with the 20", 20 gr, with cfe blackout. 12.5 gr.

I am now considering reducing further, to 17-18", as overbarrel suspressor adds 4" in length,

The American, with its 22" barrel, runs 3750 fps with the same load,

Last edited by southernman; 10-12-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Add info.