Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-08-2021, 10:16 AM

Default .17 Fireball - tell me all there is to know!

Hi guys,

I'm sure I've been here a few years ago and I never got around to it, but I've now taken the plunge and bought a nice little Sako action to build a .17 Fireball.

I'm thinking I'll probably go with an 9 twist 18" barrel to keep the rifle nice and compact. I'll only be shooting small game up to the size of a fox and the ranges won't be crazy long. I could probably do what I want to do with a HMR, but that would be boring!

I there anything I should know about the round that will make my life easier when loading for it etc? I've had a few smaller calibres in the past but it's been a while. I think i'll probably use Hornady 17gr V-Max through it as they're pretty cheap here. £5.50/100. Hopefully they'll shoot ok through my gun!

I guess I'm just here to pick your collective brains. Why learn the hard way when you can be smart and just listen to people who know already?! I'd really appreciate your feedback please. Thanks
Old 11-08-2021, 12:46 PM

Default 17fb

A great cartridge for fox and smaller targets. I’ve shot a few coyotes with it, but shot placement is critical. Shooting the south end of a northbound coyote has turned into a rodeo for me. I now use mine exclusively on prairie dogs. It’s excellent for that use out to 300 plus yards, especially in light winds.
I use 20 grain v max bullets only.
The small Sako action is perfect for the cartridge.
Small powder charge, light recoil, flat trajectory, what’s not to like.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:46 PM
Supporting Member

From MY experience, the older you get, the harder it is to pick up those little bitty bullets. SO, the 17 is not on my list of things I like, for that reason.
Got some brass if you might be interested.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:12 PM

If you can do a search here on the board there were lots of posts about 17MachIV vs 17 FB when the 17FB first came out.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Ha, All you need to know about them is:

BUY ONE and Sboot it!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-09-2021, 03:51 PM

The 17 Fireball is one very sweet cartridge. Good for varmints out to around 300 and slightly more, with good shot placement.
Easy on powder, easy to find a good, accurate load and there are enough 17 caliber bullets to keep shooting cost down.
I can only say "Get one and enjoy it"
Old 11-10-2021, 02:52 AM
Supporting Member

I have a couple Rem 700s, in the 17FB.
Not impressive, in the accuracy department. Brass is tough to find, and tougher to make. Not easy to reload.

Me ! I'd build a 20 Vartag. You can run a Teslong bore scope to see how your cleaning regiment is doing. Something you can't do with a 17.
The 20 Vartag brass, is easier to make, and it will do the job you are asking..
That's just me.

Jim

Last edited by Jim D; 11-10-2021 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:21 PM

[.

Me ! I'd build a 20 Vartag. You can run a Teslong bore scope to see how your cleaning regiment is doing. Something you can't do with a 17.
The 20 Vartag brass, is easier to make, and it will do the job you are asking..
That's just me.

Jim[/quote]

Why is it harder ? The both are formed from the same basic cartridge ( 221 FB) and the 17 FB only takes one more small step to size it from 20 cal to 17. Each are then fireformed into your rifle chamber, the first time.
Brass is all over the place, or you can form it from 223, with a few form dies.
They both are fine cartridges. I have the 17 FB, 20 VT and also the 20 SCC, each has a place and yes, they are all super fun and very fine/accurate shooting cartridges for varmints, even coyotes with good shoot placement and used within common sense distances. But then that is just my opinion, from using all of them for several years now.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:02 PM

Default 17 FB vs 20 VT

While I like both cartridges a whole lot my personal opinion is that the 20 VarTarg is much more flexible than the 17 FB. At least in my area of the country the VarTarg is more usable. Both are fine cartridges, however.

Hard to go wrong with either - just personal preference.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 11-10-2021, 04:06 PM

My 17 FB is a 17" Shilen-barrelled XP-100 pistol. It's been my main go-to coyote fur taker for 20 years or so now. Used many bullets out of it for them but now just use the 25 V-Max at 3350 mv. Have shot many prairie dogs with it at long-range as well and it's a great prairie dogger although it's not my favorite for PD's.