Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2022, 02:55 AM

Default My custom Remington 788 22-250

I bought this rifle at Big 5 for $199 and a 5-20 Bushnell Banner for $69 from Prairie Shooting Supply in Valentine Nebraska ~ 1980. We shot it pretty much the way I got it for a few years and it was good for about half inch groups with the Sierra #1365 55 grain HPBT bullets. I floated the barrel and shot it and since it shot so well I never messed with the bedding. Back then, when bench shooting I pinched the trigger and rear of the trigger guard between my thumb and trigger finger. Even though I cut a couple coils off the trigger/sear spring, it was still kind of heavy.

IIRC, the first upgrade was a Canjar trigger. Then, a better scope and next for whatever reason, I wanted a fiberglass stock on it and sent it down to MPI and had it restocked. It didn’t shoot any better, but I really liked showing it off. My recollection is that we shot it for about seven years with the original barrel before it quit me. I had Steve Kostanich put a 1:14 26 inch Lilja stainless barrel in factory taper on it. It’s on its second Lilja. The original barrel is in my bucket of barrels in my garage. We pushed a patch through it and looked in it with a video bore scope the other day and it looks like an alligator for the first six or eight inches. It shot very well until the day it quit though.

The scope is a 6-24 Burris with duplex crosshairs in it. I sent it to Burris and had them put a single Target Elevation Knob on it. These days it prefers the Sierra #1310 55 grain SPBT. It is a fabulous shooting rifle that is all but indestructible. It’s seen more of the country than a lot of people.

It seems that as time goes by it gets more attention from other people. I like it quite well, but recently have been shooting more longer range chucks from the bench with our Winchester Model 70 SA Heavy Varmint in 243. My buddy who spots for me is 83 years old and can see the 87 grain Ballistic Tips much better.

Last edited by JDHasty; 07-07-2022 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:20 AM

I have a pair of prone match rifles that Steve built for me.
I won three Oregon State Long Range(1000 yd) Championship matches with the 280 Ackley rifle he built.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:53 PM

Steve pays attention to detail. He has been gunsmithing most of the winning benchrest rifles around here for quite a while.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:22 AM

The 26" barrel should give you all the cartridge is capable of, my gunsmith and I felt 24" would do well on my 6mm, Brux turned it to the factory taper as well. The 788 is a good receiver to build on in my opinion if you already have the action especially.