Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-08-2022, 04:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default your accuracy expectations

what do you expect as far as accuracy from a factory un-bedded rifle with factory trigger?
just wanted to compare other's expectations to my own.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:31 AM

Default Accuracy expectations

I hope for 3/4"- 1" out of a factory gun. Most of my bigger calibers I am happy when I get it to to about 1/2"-5/8" and call it good. Varmint sized calibers I am satisfied when I can get them to about 3/8" or so.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:35 AM

Tikkas and CZ's have been very good from the factory for me lately (1/2" more or less)
Old 08-08-2022, 12:28 PM

Any new rifle should shoot less than 1" and a small cal or varmint rifle should be less, maybe .5" with handloads. If it can't do that it should be looking for a new home.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:47 PM

Deer calibers being above .224 & varmint calibers being at or below & relative to 100 yds & 3 to 5 shot groups:

A deer hunting caliber/weight rifle should shoot 1-1/2" or less out of the box. This means that handloading should shave another 1/2" off that group size.

A varmint hunting caliber/weight rifle should shoot 1" or less out of the box. This means that handloading should shave another 1/2" off that group size.

Dave's rule-of-thumb....

Last edited by pertnear; 08-08-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:00 PM

No idea, because the first thing I do is bed the action. I won't waste my time chasing my tail with accuracy issues, when often times just bedding the action can cut groups dramatically. No stress free bedding job can hurt accuracy.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
what do you expect as far as accuracy from a factory un-bedded rifle with factory trigger?
just wanted to compare other's expectations to my own.
If you're shooting factory ammo and you've gone through multiple different brands, bullet types and weights to find which factory ammo your particular gun likes I'd say if you can, consistently, shoot anything around one MOA your doing well and anything smaller is bonus but it may take the purchase of a few different boxes of factory ammo to find what your gun likes and for me the most important part of this equation is the part about it "consistently" shooting well with said ammo.

With a properly worked up hand load in the same factory gun, unless it's some cheap POS, I think most decent quality factory rifles, after you find the combination it likes, are capable of shooting one MOA fairly easy and often times better even much better but how much better is often determined by the quality of that factory gun and luck of the draw.

Another variable is if you purchased a used gun. In that case, especially, if you have no personal knowledge of the gun it can be a real crap shoot and I'd say keep your expectations low. If it turns out to shoot great you'll be pleasantly surprised but if it doesn't, well, then you aren't so disappointed.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

so how do you see this, factory rifle un-molested 222 rem. M8-6X leupold , pulled 52 gr speer hp, lapua brass, 100 yards and 20 mph tail wind 50 shots.

after scope adjustment the last 4 loaded rounds

i don't normally shot 50 shot groups but i screwed up and didn't check the die setting for headspace before loading. the shoulders were pushed back with a headspace of .010. i seated the bullets .015 into the lands and shot the groups.
hopefully avoiding the beginnings of incipient head separation in the process.

P.Sp Daryl this is the rifle we talked about the other day.

Last edited by foxhunter; 08-08-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:57 PM

I expect to see something around an inch or less out of a straight up factory rifle. Generally speaking my expectations have been met and frequently more than met in that regard.

I am fine with our shorter range, mostly hornet case, varmint rifles shooting somewhere around 5/8 ten shot groups at a hundred yards and don't put much effort into getting them to shoot better than that because that is all they need to shoot. On longer range rifles that will be shot greater ranges off benches we want them under half inch at a hundred yards.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:17 PM

Default general expectation

Shooting groups is fine way to judge the accuracy of any rifle. The more shots the better to find the standard deviation of your groups. But what if you're not a very good shot.
As far as I'm concerned, the first shot from a cold, clean barrel is only accuracy that really means anything. If you're one inch or less from the point of aim, then your rifle is trustworthy on game.