Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-24-2008, 06:27 PM

Default Feeding question

How many of you guys have AI calibers (or anything with a 40 degree shoulder) that feed from a repeater? Does it usually require any special work to get it to feed properly? I am trying to finalize the caliber for my latest project and after changing my mind every week for about 6 months I am back to 20X223 AI. Alot of factors went into this decision but if it won't feed properly then I need to regroup. I got a couple rounds of 223 AI brass from a friend and necked it down and seated bullets. They seemed to cycle fine through the action without the barrel on but that doesn't mean that they would hit the chamber properly. Any insight from the "been there, done that" crowd would be great.

Wade
Old 12-24-2008, 08:35 PM

I CURRENTLY don't have any. All my current AI's are single shots. I DID shoot a .243 AI and a .257 AI in bolt repeaters though and they worked flawlessly.

The shoulder shouldn't change the feeding as far as I can tell, even the feed ramp shouldn't know the difference. I'd be happy to learn something though.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:45 PM

I have a 20-223 AI that I built myself. Although my action is a single shot, I have slight problems with the straight walled cases going up into the chamber.
If I pull the barrel and slightly bell-polish the chamber it might fix it. Something I haven't gotten around to doing.
I love the caliber.

Rifles I have built
Old 12-26-2008, 01:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to 17rimfire

I currently have a 220 swift ackley improved built on a LA ruger m77 and it feeds just fine and also have a 243 AI built on a rem 700 and it feeds fine as well.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rimfire View Post
I currently have a 220 swift ackley improved built on a LA ruger m77 and it feeds just fine and also have a 243 AI built on a rem 700 and it feeds fine as well.
WOW. a 220 AI? what's barrel life? 5 shots? lol (just kidding)
Old 12-26-2008, 02:50 AM
Administrator

The smaller 223 based AI cartridges with very straight sidewalls can cause feeding problems, depending on the action. I've heard of quite a few people with 223 AI's that don't feed very well in a 700 action. A friend of mine built the first 20-223 AI that I knew of (probably 10 years ago) on a Sako S491 action and the feeding is not real consistent.

Increasing the body taper generally solves this problem with little loss in capacity. I remember something about a 223 Improved designed by Darrell Holland that was just like a typical 223 Ackley but the body taper was increased for better feeding in a Rem 700 action.

My own 17 Predator (30°) and 20 Duster (40°) cartridges taper from .375" diameter at .200" ahead of the rim to .365" at the shoulder, and both feed fine. Somewhere around .010" of taper per inch seems to be enough body taper to cure feeding problems and help cartridges 'turn the corner' from the magazine into the chamber. Kindler's cartridges run .360" diameter at the shoulder and feed very well.

"Special appetite skill combine with brain lentil size create the deadliest!"
Old 12-26-2008, 07:14 AM

Thanks for all your replies guys, as always you all have been most helpful. Dan; I didn't think about the taper issue, as I mentioned the rounds fed good through the L461 action but with no barrel I wasn't trying to jam a near straight peg into a tight fitting hole. My biggest problem is that I'm going to rent the reamer so I have no control of case taper. Oh well, I guess I'll push forward and in the worst case I'll just use a single shot follower and give up the fast follow-up shots. Besides if you never miss you shouldn't need a follow-up!