Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 05-21-2021, 07:26 PM

Default Re chamber Remington 204 Project?

Looking for advice and thoughts on this idea. I just bought an XR100 in 204 from a fellow member here. I'm in love now with the 20VT and thinking of re chambering it. A friend is loaning me his reamer (I don't have the drawing yet)
Also planning to cut the barrel back to 22" and thread it for suppressor.
Part of me is thinking that I should leave the rifle as is from the factory...they are a bit hard to find. I already have a favorite 204 in a Howa mini.
Do Remington hammer forged barrels lend themselves to easy and accurate chambering?
Thanks for any advice on the rifle, 20VT specs etc.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:27 PM

First why would you want a suppresser on it, other than to cut down some noise ?
Second the 20 VT does best with a 1/11 twist barrel and that 204R is more than likely 1/12.
Third, why not buy a prefit barrel from one of the makers in 20 VT and install it and keep that 204R original barrel to put back on if you want to sell it in it's original form ?
In the long run, I believe you would be better served that way.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:41 PM

I agree with BillK, keep the 204 barrel and get a McGowen 20VT barrel. I have a 16" McGowen with a brake and find it very accurate. My longest shot has been 400 yards at one of the local ranges. I have the 10 twist barrel and it works perfectly for 32 gr thru about 45 gr.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
First why would you want a suppresser on it, other than to cut down some noise ?
Second the 20 VT does best with a 1/11 twist barrel and that 204R is more than likely 1/12.
Third, why not buy a prefit barrel from one of the makers in 20 VT and install it and keep that 204R original barrel to put back on if you want to sell it in it's original form ?
In the long run, I believe you would be better served that way.
Bill, possibly he is not mostly deaf like we are!
Old 05-22-2021, 01:13 AM

Default What was that? can't hear you

Yes gents...I started shooting all my varmint rigs suppressed a couple years ago. Its just so civilized and I'm convinced I shoot more sage rats and P dogs when suppressed.
Anyway...thanks for the great advice....just what I needed. My gunsmith said those Remington barrels can be really hard in places and can ruin a good reamer and the barrel if you are unlucky. It just so happens I bought an X-caliber blank last week on AS. So my gunsmith says once he pries off the factory barrel I could now have a switch barrel set up with 204R and 20VT. i already have a barrel vice. So maybe I end up with the best of both and keep the XR original.
Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Bill, possibly he is not mostly deaf like we are!
Never thought of that, but the way my hearing is now, after years of gun blast and sirens, I know it is 80 % gone..
Old 05-22-2021, 02:15 AM

Default Hearing

Thanks Bill ... my hearing aids are on full throttle all the time now.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:37 PM

Default Shooting suppressed

Just got back from shooting PDs. I was shocked that my suppressed 222 did not work any better for preventing them from going down at short distances. The expense and hassle of getting the suppressor and machining the muzzle does not seem to worth it to me at this point.

I do like the quieter report, but would not do it again. Oh well, too late now as most of my PD guns are set up for a suppressor. However, on a rimfire the report is really quiet.

Chuck
Old 05-25-2021, 01:44 PM

I've been shooting a 223 suppressed and 20 VT unsuppressed for PD's for a 2-3 years now.

I also feel that the PD's stay up longer and/or come back up quicker when using the 223 suppressed.

I'll be threading the VT for my next PD trip.

Last edited by Ricco1949; 05-25-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:03 PM

Default Suppressors and P dogs

Yes also my experience is sage rats and P-dogs will stay up longer and come back sooner also. Especially when using rimfire 17's. One MT rancher I know asks me to shoot all suppressed in a field with cattle nearby. He knows many more dogs will be shot with a 17HMR/WSM suppressed in a short time. Of course every one shooting a town has to be suppressed or its no help.
Are the P-pups out yet? Headed to MT next week