Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-28-2022, 07:10 PM

Default Burris Fullfield e1 survey

We have three of the 6.5-20 and find them to be pretty decent optically throughout the magnification range. Where I have found them lacking is in the positive accurate repeatable movement of the cross hairs to sight them in. However once sighted in they seem to hold their adjustment just fine and the Ballistic Plex e1 MV reticle works for us on the applications we use them on.

What I am wondering is if others have found this to be the case. A friend has a Burris credit and is looking at the 4.5-14 w/Long-Range MOA reticle and ask my opinion. He is far more inclined to dial windage adjustment, where as once I have the windage set dead center on a calm day, I need a compelling reason before I mess with it.

If anyone here has any experience that either validates my conclusion or if they have a different experience using the turrets on this scope line I would appreciate your thoughts.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:14 PM

Forget the credit and just invest in as good of a scope, from other companies, that the friend can afford, would be my advice for him.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Forget the credit and just invest in as good of a scope, from other companies, that the friend can afford, would be my advice for him.
Based on my experience with Burris optics, Bill's recommendation is very good advice.

A few years ago I bought three Burris MTAC 4-14x42AO scopes. Put two of them on rimfires and one on a CZ 527 17 Hornet. Those three had Mil-Dot reticles and I never dialed with them but based on their inconsistent clicks when first zeroing I would never trust them to be accurate when dialing.

My next experience with Burris was the Veracity 4-20x50 I put on a CZ527 204 I used to have. Even though my experience with the MTAC's wasn't that great the Veracity is supposed to be one of Burris's higher end scopes so I took the chance. Optically, on lower magnification it was relatively decent but from about 14 -20X it got grainy as he11 and was like looking through a screen door. I did dial with that a bit but quickly found the clicks were not accurate and returning to zero, to be polite, was not good at all.

I've found, when it comes to scopes that will accurately and consistently dial up/down and back to zero, you get exactly what you pay for. I've heard their XTR is supposed to be a pretty good scope but if I'm spending that much I'll just get another NF because I know what they'll do.

Unfortunately, there just isn't much out there in the lower priced scope range that dials with any amount of accuracy.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:16 AM

I have north of a dozen Weaver Nitrex TR-1 bad TR-2 scopes and they are right on the money. Excellent optically too. My Burris Signature 8-32 has been a great scope as well as my Burris Signature 6-24. Alas, none of the above are available any longer even under the Weaver Grand Slam and Super Slam lines.

He asked me about the Fullfield e1 and I told him that for a guy that is constantly dialing windage, from first hand experience I can’t recommended it. Just wanted to see if others had the same experience with them as I have.

There have over the years been scopes that punched way above their weight when it comes to tracking. I shot small bore silhouette against guys using Japanese Tasco scopes in the 1990’s and they were spot on. I used a Beeman myself it tracks perfectly. Not that the Beeman was cheap.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
If anyone here has any experience that either validates my conclusion or if they have a different experience using the turrets on this scope line I would appreciate your thoughts.
If your pal is going to be dialing...there isn't a single current product in the Burris line that I'd recommend.

For a reasonably priced scope with a good MOA reticle, I can recommend the Sightron S-TAC series in either 3-16 or 4-20 (my favorite). They have good optics, positive clicks and track and return to zero every time. And, Sightron is a U.S. based company with it's own mfg. plants in Japan and the Philippines....no Chinese outsourced/relabeled/reboxed stuff.

Friends don't let friends buy new Burris stuff. Sad but true at this point in time.

Good shootin' -Al
Old 07-29-2022, 03:47 PM

I know what you are talking about and it is a damn shame. When I was shooting small bore silhouette in the late 1980's - 1990's Burris may have the most popular scope brand being used. The high power and handgun silhouette shooters were really high on them too. Their new stuff is downright flakey.
Old 07-29-2022, 04:50 PM

Default "Dialers"

I'm a habitual "dialer" when out for GS and rockchucks, as my ranges go from 75 yds out past 400, so the ability to range the rat, quick peek at my come-up chart on the ocular flip cover, dial the elevation needed, hold-off for wind if needed and press that trigger. Overall results using this method has worked now for just over 30 years.

As I'm a hard-core 'dialer', I always have the Leupold Custom Shop install their excellent and very robust M1 elevation turret on any scope intended for colony rat shooting or chucks. It's the same used on their military MK Series tactical scopes and have never failed me in any way. It is THE answer to anyone who uses their turrets for the intended purpose. I rarely ever install the M1 on the windage adjustment, only done it twice on rifles intended for use at LR in the wind.

(Cooper M38 VR, 20VT, Jard 10 oz, Leupold VX3 6.5-20X 40mm LR VHR mounted low with Luepy STD rings/bases)

Again, buy once, cry once and be happy ever after. JMO
Old 07-29-2022, 04:57 PM

I can relate to that. I have a bunch of Leupold scopes that were sent to Beaverton for the same treatment. None of these scopes have ever failed to perform well.
Old 07-30-2022, 01:02 AM
Supporting Member

I do a lot of long range prairie dog shooting and I absolutely love my Burris Veracity scopes. I use 5 Veracity, 2 Eliminator3, 2 signature HD
And I have a couple fullfield scopes as well. There are Sightrons Leopold Zeiss and Weaver in my rack too. They all have pluses and minuses but the Burris are my favorite. The E reticle are excellent so I have been gradually replacing Leopold scopes with the varmint hunter reticle.
By the way, comparing a fullfield to a veracity is like comparing a freedom to a vx-5
Old 07-31-2022, 06:50 PM

I have an E1 3x9 30mm and am very happy with it, but its a set it and forget it. I have a FF 4.5x14 AO Japan scope that is as clear as my VXII 4x12 and brighter. I am also one that has too many rifles to put "good" scopes on. I did spring for a new Golden Eagle with hd glass for my .284 1000yd rifle, but that's probably the most I will ever spend on a scope.