Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-02-2022, 05:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default how lite is to lite in a rifle?

i ask because i had a Kimber Montana that was so lite i couldn't shoot groups with it. has anyone had a similar experience with a lite rifle. i saw tony had a 4# ar.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:11 AM

Default Interesting problem...

My rifles tend to run the opposite of your concern.My 20 BR weighs 22lbs and shoots very well.Was thinking about what I had as far as a lite weight rifle and all I could think of was my 5mm Sheridan,which I can shoot very well too.
I’m sure if it was a heavy recoiling rifle and very light it sure would make it a challenge.
Matt
Old 09-02-2022, 11:00 AM

My Henry Single Shot in .450 Bushmaster is close , almost too much fun.

Old 09-02-2022, 02:02 PM

To light, to me, is when a rifle has a lot of recoil and the fact of it being very light really makes you feel the recoil and this can lead to issues in accurate shooting. So it depends on the shooter and how he can handle a given rifles recoil and be steady on the shot.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:13 PM

Some years back, I was at a gun show looking for a light & handy deer rifle for blind hunting in Texas. I came across a Ruger #3 with a Bushnell scope that had been rebarrelled with a fly-weight Acme barrel in .270 Win! The stock was original except the curved butt was cut-off & a tiny recoil pad had been installed. I quickly sold of the scope & replaced it with a nice Leupold. The gun all-in weighed just under 6lbs! Surprisingly, it was a very accurate & it was a joy to carry & maneuver! But the recoil was sharp & extremely unpleasant. Although accuracy was stellar, it required that the gun be placed & held exactly the same for each shot. Whatever you rested the forend on was cause for it to recoil away in the opposite direction & in turn it would throw the shot off in that direction. Eventually I refitted that rifle with Ruger #1 stocks & rebarrelled it with a varmint weight barrel in 6.8SPC. Now it's one of favorite deer rifles!
Old 09-02-2022, 03:05 PM
Supporting Member

My MkV Accumark 270 Wby is very steady because of that barrel. I knocked more than a pound off of it by putting on an MPI stock, which makes it less of a club and seem lighter. Gunmaker here handed me a Rigby and asked me 'what does it weigh?'. He explained it felt lighter because the circumference of the wrist and forearm made it handy. So for handling, weight can be countered.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:27 PM

Opinions are like elbows every one has a couple.

Lite rifles, a couple of good friends and I have had the discussion for quite a number of years. We have had and admired several. They are a cat of a different breed and made for an intended purpose, to be carried a lot and shot once.

Group shooting fouled or clean bore, the choice is yours. I prefer fouled with 4-5 shots.
Shoot one shot and let it cool back to ambient temp, 20-30 minutes at least. The. So on, I do three shot groups.

Recoil, yeah they will bump ya but that’s the price you pay and one needs to pick and choose their caliber wisely. I see a lot with brakes, not a fan.
Once again these rigs were intended to be carried on all kinds of terrain and not feel like it weighs 60 pounds, hours later.
No way intended for long strings of fire at the bench or colony varmints.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:42 PM

Back when I hunted in the Colorado mountains, I had a ULA in 308 and a Rifles Inc in 280. Both were under 7 lbs with scope and ammo so a joy to carry up and down the hills! One problem that I encountered was after moving and breathing heavily you didn't have weight to steady your shot. I can usually shoot really well when sitting or using something for a rest but sometimes that's not possible. I sold the 280 off because it had a brake that would knock your ears off. Neither one was pleasant shooting off the bench for more than a few rounds but both were very accurate. More than a few grouse lost there heads while I was perusing other game. But when I stopped hunting I sold off the BG rifles, except the Sako full stock in 7x57 I bought in RSA, to shoot rimfire. Less bang and more fun for me on my farm in AR.
Old 09-03-2022, 06:50 PM

I guess my view depends on its intended purpose and also cartridge size. For me there is a clear delineation between target/precision rifles (range guns) and field rifles. Weight is less of a concern for a range rifle that will be shot off a bench or bipod and only carried 50 feet from the car.

For field guns that will be carried then the distance carried, type of terrain, and shooting volume all become deciding factors... and also age/physical condition of shooter.

A 4lbs AR15 may seem too light, but it is a small cartridge and if outfitted with a muzzle break or suppressor then there is minimal recoil. The hardest part is getting an AR to reduce that much weight
Old 09-03-2022, 08:25 PM

I know it's not a popular opinion, but unless you are shooting ground squirrels or very young Pdogs at over 200yds, just how small of group do you need? If your hunting , I want a group to resemble hunting conditions, I.E. 3 shots in rapid fashion. I don't have time to wait between shots when hunting.