Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-08-2022, 03:04 AM

Default We have two problems where I live

I have only seen eight groundhogs all summer and they were dead on the road. We have a lot of coyotes and a lot of city slickers who are buying up the land and parcels that were part of farms. The coyotes are eating the groundhogs and the slickers are posting the land, not to mention building houses all over the place which makes shooting unsafe in many directions.
I ran a coyote in to one of their barns and was told that I could not go in after it. It had killed two or more new born calves, but that didn't matter. We ended up snaring him and the calf killing stopped.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:28 AM

Been seeing a lot fewer groundhogs here in Western Pa also.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

QAZ:

My first thought was: "you and who or what else".

Yep, whole lotta people enjoy sex, that results in

population explosions everywhere.

Glad you got that calf eater.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-08-2022, 06:04 PM

Go back in time to the early 1980's when my buddy Mark and I approached a property owner about shooting rockchucks on their property. Oh no, they are the kids' pets says the woman dressed in a flour sack outfit.

We said thank you and politely left after letting her know that allowing them to undermine the foundation on the family residence might not be a good idea and that a good strong farm dog or two might not be a bad idea.

A year later when we entered the coulee there was only black scorched earth where the home had formerly stood. Upon inquiry with long time residents we were informed that the County Health Department had burned the place to the ground after the children came down with bubonic plague. My inclination is that what they were infected with was Sylvatic plague, mox nix.

We have built relationships with smaller property owners that allow us to get access through connections they have to others in central and eastern Washington.

The easiest way for those relationships to go south is to invite anyone to join you who has an AR15 or 10/22 in their possession. Irrespective of whether we have brought along one or both, don't allow anyone who doesn't have considerable skin in the game the option of bringing them along or all of the effort you have made to have access will be for naught.

Last edited by JDHasty; 09-08-2022 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:12 PM
Supporting Member

Sylvatic plague is term the libs have created to avoid facing up to Bubonic plague spreading eastward in wild populations. When I went back to school mid-80s I was lined up to study titer concentration of plague in the PD out at the local NPS land. Until NPS found out I had ZERO desire to work for them at which point I was axed.
We always joked about some blue hair's toy poodle taking BP back to Chi or NY. Kinda like Eagle Day in Valdez.

Check out The Barbary Plague by Margaret Chase.

Last edited by barretcreek; 09-09-2022 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:54 PM

Much fewer woodchucks here in SE Ohio
Old 09-09-2022, 03:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

slightly off topic of g-hogs but, hemorrhagic fever struck from eastern New Mexico to Kalifornia up into Washington and even New York state killing most of the jacks and rabbits. like stacked dominos it has affected the fox and coyote population.
I wonder if Fauci and the Chinese are doing gain of function on this virus?

SANTA FE, NM – The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish (Department) and the New Mexico Livestock Board report that Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus type 2 (RHDV-2) is the cause for recent rabbit deaths in both wild jackrabbit and cottontail populations as well as in domestic rabbit production facilities. RHDV-2 is highly contagious among rabbits; however, it is not known to be transmissible to humans or pets. RHDV-2 is from a different viral family from the corona virus and is not related to COVID-19.

Last edited by foxhunter; 09-09-2022 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:59 PM

There are some places that would allow a PCP airgun to take them out, that will not allow a firearm.
Old 09-10-2022, 03:09 AM
Supporting Member

Cottontails, quail, pheasants numbers are way down from when I was a kid. Seldom see them anymore. Heck even deer population is back down to where I don’t see them as much.

Just 4 miles straight south of me a few years ago a mountain lion killed a year old calf and then laid down on a round hay bale right where he killed the calf. When I was a kid we had no bobcats, mountain lions or turkeys. But we did have more habit (with milo fields) and lots of fun.

Things sure have changed
Old 09-11-2022, 05:07 PM

Here in central OR, we've got less mule deer, quail, elk, phesant, chucks, squirrels, every game animal each year.

What we've got more of every year.......humans from CA and their desire to build HUGE homes on land we all used to hunt on for decades. Not to mention their values differ quite a bit from ours.

Glad I lived and hunted in the late 50's on and saw how it should have stayed. Also glad I'm no younger than I am.