Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 PM

Default Sizing Plate

Communication with Kevin Weaver of Weaver rifles, indicates that the steel sizing plate that has several holes drilled for sizing brass is now considered to be proprietary.

Okay, who is making this plate as I need one.

Thanks,

John
Old 11-19-2008, 11:42 PM

the "plate" was designed by Blaine Eddy over 15 yrs ago.

he had a local machine shop in Sandy, UT make 100-150 plates

about half that # were actually produced and sold (machine shop re-nigged on the deal)

i own (pictured) the prototype that was Blaine's personal plate before the production run

allpredatorcalls.com use to have some for sale but sold out very quickly

Blaine is in poor health right now and I doubt seriously that they will produced again unless he can sell the rights to someone else

a DVD was also available with the Plate

hope this helps,

cb <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare
Old 11-20-2008, 01:11 AM
Supporting Member

So many questions
Old 11-20-2008, 05:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Blake:
Is that what I think it is?
To neck down in steps to just about whatever you want?
Never heard of this setup til now. Thanks much for the pics.
Pretty slick idea. Sure would beat having to buy all the dies.

But, the inserts like Paul made up and I copied works pretty slick too.
Thank you

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-20-2008, 09:25 AM

ah, so you use the drill press with a shell holder mounted in it to push the brass down through the plate. Not a bad idea if you have a drill press. Bet the plate could be mounted to a reloading press with a few modifications. Make it long and inline (instead of 6 x 4, go 1 x 12 and skip every other one) and mount a jig to the bottom or top of the press. Ram up, ram down, slide one slot. Continue.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 11-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Supporting Member

CB,

How's Blaine doing?

Maybe I'm just getting old, but it seems like a lot of old timers are slowly fading away...

Sometimes I feel like I've been coming around here since Christ was a Corporal (and Moses was a Platoon Sergeant)...

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 PM

Default How Many Steps?

Necking down (or up) a case should involve a "reasonable" number of intermediate size steps. Otherwise, I think you'd be adding a lot of work hardening, requiring extra annealing steps as well. Bench resters are currently making 6BR brass into 30BR in just one neck-up step, using Lapua cases. Just a thought...

Ed
Old 11-21-2008, 03:16 AM

Default Die set

Butch Lambert, a benchrest gunsmith/machinest in Texas makes bushing/die set that works in a regular reloading press. He makes these in limited runs when he gets enough orders and has a few sets left for sale. For instance they will reduce a 30-06 case to just over an inch and down to 14 caliber....

http://www.shadetreeea.com/caseDieSet.html
Old 11-21-2008, 03:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Paul and I made the same things double ended on each bushing that will fit inside the Lee collet type dies. Whole lot cheaper.

Outside dems: .750"x 1.50", just used numbered drill bits then polished 'em up real nice with plenty of lube.

Don't know how anyone else does it. But, I run a batch at a time per step. Some sessions by 500 or 1000 cases. Before they're ready to load it's four steps to size, then trim and clean up, makes it seven steps.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-21-2008, 05:57 AM

the Plate will allow you to reduce the necks from cases as large as a .338 caliber all the way down to .14 cal.

there are 22 holes which decrease .009" (?) in size to slowly reduce neck diameters and not place unwanted stress/fatigue on the brass. The updated Plates had .xxx" numbers punched near the holes to correspond with hole diameter. My prototype plate has no markings

the polished chamfer is around 25* ~ 30* and makes things very simple when reducing neck diameters

a threaded shell holder is attached to a shaft which is secured in a drill press

a tiny drop of lubricant is all that is needed to minimize friction as I can reduce a 6BR case down to 17 caliber in less than 30 seconds.

a 14 Hornet case can be made in less than 20 seconds

Re: Blaine

I use to s/w Blaine several times per year to share updates and talk coyotes. We would discuss hunting, wildcats, and how time flies and how important family is. He would always tell me to hug my kids for him and to cherish the special times while their young. After Blaine's divorce, he really had no family left

Health: About 18 mos. ago he was suffering from a bad shoulder (rotator cuff ?) due to all the fatigue and heavy lifting from breaking concrete and pouring slabs for 25+ yrs. I left 3 voice mail msgs w/in the last 9 mos. as I'm just hoping he's alright and his health hasn't deteriorated any further.

If I hear from old Heavy Eagle, I'll gladly share any updates with the Saubier community. One small gesture if you don't mind, say a short prayer for the Man upstairs to watch over Blaine wherever he may be right now.

cb <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare