Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 12-27-2008, 10:41 PM

Default 17 Ackley Bee - safe loads for a T/C

What are prudent and safe loads (velocity/pressure range) for a 17 Ackley Bee using N120 or N 130 and 20 gr. V-max’s in either a Contender or an Encore? I have been using Todd Kindler’s (The Sensational Seventeens) fire-forming loads (12.6 gr. N 120 or 13. 5 gr. N 130), which are super accurate and clean burning, to form my brass. My concern is that Todd’s loads and loads sited on this site with N 120/130 powders go up to over the 4000 fps levels with 20 gr. V-max’s, which is in the range of what one would expect from a 17 Remington FB or 17 Mach IV. What’s cooking with these super high velocities and the pressures they must generate? Would be very appreciative of hearing from other shooters with 17 AB's, especially ones who shoot T/C’s.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:57 AM

I'm shooting a 17 Heebee in an encore but I have not tried any VV powders, although that is on the to do list. One load of AA1680 will push a 20 gr. at about 4400! Is it safe? Who knows, but I have pierced primers in this rifle before and I really don't think anything the bee case will hold (within reason of course) would hurt that reciever. You can buy 375 H&H barrels for the encore so if it will handle that it will take the little bee case in stride. Just watch your brass for pressure signs and enjoy what Mr. Ackley called "the perfect 17".
Old 01-02-2009, 02:01 AM

Please post the info as you get it. I have a 14" .17 Furball coming from Mike Bellm when he gets a "roundtuit". :-)
Old 01-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Supporting Member

Case capacity is darn near the 17MKVI and 17FB so I would expect velocitys to be right up there also. As long as primer pockets hold up go for it.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Supporting Member

I shoot a 17 Killer Bee but only use the 25 gr V-Max. The case seems very strong and I get amazing velocity out of it but have no experience with the Encore... If you think that your fire forming loads are warm be sure to back off and work up again when loading for a formed case. I found out that while my FF loads did well the same load in a formed case was too hot. I would have *guessed* that N-130 would be a lil slow for this case but you now have me wondering! Wade gave you pretty good advise and agree with Mr. Ackley!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 03:23 PM

my 17 ackley bee is built on the martini 310 cadet. i dont see this action being much stronger than yours. i shoot 14.5gr of h-322 with excellent results behind a 25gr berger. primer is cci br4 (when are they gonna make more?). this is absolutely max load, but accuracy is best with it. it doesn't like a lighter load. by the way it's gorgeous.

Last edited by king canis; 03-07-2009 at 03:27 PM.