Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-04-2009, 11:52 PM

Default ltra velocity .22's for Big Game

It's in the bullet, ya know. This link was sent to me by George. He wanted me to mail it to everyone, but I figured this might serve.

Interesting concept- think I'd just stay with a .22/250 or Swift, if as accurate as my last one. Trouble is, the throat was gone to 1" in 1,000 rounds and I was only pushing it to 4,100fps. I wanted to try some 40gr. HP's at 4,400fps, but couldn't get anywhere near the throat at that time.

This link if either going to upset you, or confirm thoughts that with the right bullet, small calibres might be useable for small, big game.

C:\Users\DarylTS\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\T emporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\PK9YZJ84\22x64.htm
Old 01-05-2009, 12:42 AM

That link is to a file on your computer. Larry
Old 01-05-2009, 04:14 AM

PO Ackley did a lot of testing with hi-velocity small bores on big game. I think the big problem now is that we take longer shots than he did, and it's no longer politically correct.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Supporting Member

Something along these lines. I went moose hunting in Newfoundland a few years ago. Out of curiosity I asked my guide what he hunted moose with. He said a 222 in the lungs and no shots over 75yd. He also said he wouldn't take a client with the same weapon. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Sorry- stupid me- bloody infernal machines! But where would we be without them. Gonna try again to bring it up - will edit this if I can get the real address. Second attempt resulted in a comp. file agai OK- here it is - googled it to find the real address. http://www.gsgroup.co.za/22x64.html Do believe I'd still stick with a smaller .22 round- probably not even go there. When I hunt and where I hunt I'm as likely to run into a grizzly as a whitetail buck or moose. Happened once when I was packing my .218Bee with 45gr. Barnes X for a doe. Wierd feeling being armed with a .218Bee Ruger Single shot facing a biting-type bear.

Last edited by Daryl; 01-05-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicero View Post
Something along these lines. I went moose hunting in Newfoundland a few years ago. Out of curiosity I asked my guide what he hunted moose with. He said a 222 in the lungs and no shots over 75yd. He also said he wouldn't take a client with the same weapon. Kenny
Kenny- I fully understand the guide's reluctance in guiding a hunter with a .222 for moose. Although the odd hunter who comes up here on a guided hunt can shoot, they are few and far between. As noted above, the .222 is not my choice for hunting around here. My 'hunting' rifles are all .366 cal. or larger.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Supporting Member

.366? Would that be a 9.3x62?

Good cartridge...
Old 01-05-2009, 04:09 PM

Default Amusing...

The .270 is just a .27/'06.
Mr. Ackley made,sold a bullet that was all copper with a tiny piece of lead in the tip to encourage expansion, 75 years ago. Fond in his .228, an '06 case with a belt swaged on, called WORK, and at high velocity. CF .22 Newton?
Mr. A. also commented, in his books, on killing with the .220 Swift using appropriate bullets. Works good. "Appropriate bullets" is the key.
I believe the biggest griz in North America was killed with a .22 short. Young lady, Native American Indian, was grand daughter of tribe's bear killer. He used .22 Long rifle. Shot into mouth/brain. But she was only a girl and they only gave her .22 shorts for her single shot... Made it...
Geo. Herter had a funny story. He was hunting polar bears with Inuit Indians. The young were feuding with the old. The old thought that the right gun for the polar bear was the .22 Hornet. The young thought they were out of date and the "up to date" bear hunter would carry nothing but a .222 Remington. Of course they find bears swimming and pretty helpless and shoot them in the head area... Happy new year...
Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 PM

I've hunted white tail deer the last 5 seasons with a 5.6x50 Imp. I have used both a 55gr Speer Bearclaw and a 60gr Nosler Partition. Both bullets have performed flawlessly. All shots have been made to either the head or neck, ranges from 30 yards to 250 yards. With one exception, all dropped in their tracks. The exception went about 25 yards downhill, falling most of the way.

It's alwasy seems odd to me that many men will get a 243 for their wife or son and use a larger, say 300 Win Mag, for themselves. If you can't place your shot, you need to practice before you go after big game. If you can shoot, a smaller caliber is more than adequate. I prefer the head & neck shots because the animal does not suffer, they don't run and no meat is destroyed. It works for me.

Rick

Last edited by Greyfox1947; 01-06-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 PM

I had just the oppose experience from Greyfox1947. Bought a very nice 243 M70 from a neighbor - turns out it was his. Hers was an old BAR in 300WM. A real surprise to me. It really was as GF described, she was the "Macho" excess type and he was the precision shooter.