Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2009, 02:37 PM

Default OT - Fixing up a family heirloom

I know this is way off topic but you guys know this stuff better than anybody out there - so if you would be so kind as to give me some advice on fixing up my grandpa's old 870 shotgun to give to my dad on his sixtieth birthday, I would really appreciate it.

It is an old Wingmaster 870 12 guage with all the bluing worn off but no heavy rust. The gun has major dings, chips, and scratches from years of abuse from the last 3 generations using it for pheasants, deer, and ducks.

I'd like to have some ideas on the best way to make it something even more special for my dad and also something to be handed further down the line.

I was thinking of getting it blued again and also engraving my grandpa's name and DOB and DOD.

I don't know what to do with the wood though. It is salvageable but it won't look great next to a newly blued gun. If I do replace it, I'd like something very classy and somewhat unique.

Any ideas out there? Thanks!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:17 PM

http://gunblue.homestead.com/Index.html

I have not used him but he is highly reccomended. I would have a recoil pad put on. Your Butt plate is prolly hammered, it would make it more comfortable to shoot. I would get the shell latches replaced. They wear over time. I will see if I can post a link to redoing that stock. Do it yourself, take your time. It is not hard to get great results.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 PM

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr.../1#Post2463955

Pretty simple to do, just takes some time. Brownells has everthing
Old 01-06-2009, 03:22 PM

http://www.riflestockpainting.com/Se...d_Pricing.html

This is a nice finsh. The gun will be bullet proof, but it is not bluing. He does noice ingraving for words and letters. Priced right. That should get you started in a direction
Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Supporting Member

Just something to think about. Your grandpa put every one of those marks on it doing something he loved. What would grandpa want? Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Default I'm kinda with Kenny on this.

A Wingmaster 870 is a really nice piece, but probably this is one of the older 2 3/4 inch chambers. Still a great gun, but probably won't be used on waterfowl again. Regardles, it deserves "restoring", but not screwing up all of those hard earned dings, scratches scars.

Clean it up good, have a good look at the buttpad and maybe replace it with a new one, and "steam iron" the dings out of the stock. Wax the wood good, use light (0000) steel wool to get any rust off, polish the metal with Flitz (gently) and oil all of the metal, have one of the local pro's clean and oil it down to the last screw head.

While this isn't an "antique", it is a family heirloom. Collectors admonish folks NOT to reblue, etc., as that ruins the "collector" value. This one is truely a collector's item, even if that only means you or your dad.

If you need a presentation piece, get your dad a Citori, etc. Just presenting him with this old jewel is going to mean a tremendous lot to him.

(And now at 72, I'm old enough to appreciate it! )

Alex
Old 01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Supporting Member

My Dad (now 87 y/o) has a 16ga 870, bought by him new in 1953, has zero blueing left, but the patina on the metal doesn't look like rust, and he simply wipes it down before storage. I agree, the current condition reflects the numerous hunts and memories.
I would suggest only correcting any mechanical problems (if any), or aesthetics, and let its condition speak for itself as to its history.

Greg
Old 01-06-2009, 05:18 PM

Default This topic brings great debate

A 870 wingmaster at market in the condition described is worth less than what the blue job would cost. So monitary value should not even be considered on this modle. Returning the gun to like new to get another 40-50 years use out of sounds like a great plan, for a great old gun.

An In loving Memory of somewhere small like on a grip cap or mag tube would be awesome. Either way the story of the gun will have to be told when it is handed off to kids not born yet. It will have new scares and worn spots alot more miles and a few more stories.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I wondered the same about rebluing and fixing the stock so I asked dad a few years ago how he'd like it redone. He also would like it reblued and the stock fixed up or replaced.

I'm leaning toward fixing the stock up myself and having it reblued proffesionally. Should I go with the slow rust bluing?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwking View Post
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I wondered the same about rebluing and fixing the stock so I asked dad a few years ago how he'd like it redone. He also would like it reblued and the stock fixed up or replaced.

I'm leaning toward fixing the stock up myself and having it reblued proffesionally. Should I go with the slow rust bluing?
I'm thinking I'm getting old. :-) I would want it as is. Not that you should do that (especially since your dad would like it redone). My granddad is 88 and having trouble with putting sentences together now. Stuff that reminds me of the better days with him would be nice "as is".