Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-29-2021, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Default Hornady Lock N Load Progressive

Anybody used one? Like it? I know Dillon is the gold standard but we aren't a dealer. I can get the Hornady at cost. I won our coyote contest (52 lbs) and won a $1500 gift card at our shop.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:47 AM

I had a Dillon 650 for awhile before I sold it. Wasn’t much of a fan of progressives after using it. Took to long for caliber setups and changes. If you left it set for one caliber it wasn’t bad. Once I got the lock n lid bushing conversion though for my rockchucker the Dillon sat which is why I sent it down the road.

After a couple of years I got curious about the lock n load progressive. Sportsman’s was running a sale on them so I bought one. First off it’s an absolute breeze to setup. Second it’s easy to add to. Single rounds are easy. The lock and load bushings are a lot cheaper then buying the whole conversion kit needed for the Dillon to change calibers.

The guy I sold the Dillon to ended up selling it and getting a lock n load. I know a lot of people seem to go LnL from Dillon but not the other way around. Both hornady and Dillon have top notch service should it be needed.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Thanks. Will probably just set it up for 223 and 9mm, both cases use same shell holder plate. Couple die bushings for each should make an easy changeover. May set it up for 38 spl later, but don't shoot that much anymore.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:23 AM

I had one 10-12 years ago could not stand the powder measure kept sticking and miss charging, the auto advance was so fast that when it hit the next stop with 357 mag cases powder would fling out of them, NOT A FAN, Maybe they have made something better... doubt it, I think all but Dillon have taken the China pill

I Have a Dillon 550 when really doing a big batch it is the best, granted set up is 10-15 minutes sometimes especially when changing from small to large primers, For real small batches I just ordered another Lee classic turret press, super easy to use not the best anything for sure, But should be ordered individual parts better measure less junk I was talked out of my last one

Last edited by SEM; 12-29-2021 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:53 PM

I have a lnl and a Dillon 550. Really have no complaints with either. Only use my lnl for handgun reloading, but it's as consistent and smooth as the Dillon 550 is.
Old 12-29-2021, 03:24 PM

Default Hornady LNL

I have the Hornady Projector press which was the precursor to the LNL I do not use the primer feed (due to poor design) or factory powder measure. I prime before using the press and manually drop powder. It is quite fiddley. I use it for 38 special only which works adequately, not fast, but faster than single loading. It requires a slight manual forward plate move to get accurate alignment for each station. Setting up the initial cartridge plate required a lot of patience to get it to function correctly.

I expect the LNL version improved problems that existed with the Projector version. I will not upgrade as it works and not expecting to do high volume shooting.

Chuck
Old 12-29-2021, 05:09 PM
Supporting Member

I think you will like the Hornady AP although I have seen plenty of negative comments about it over the years.

Years ago REM convinced me that a progressive press for case forming would be a real time saver. I also was somehow brain washed into believing you can’t load as accurate ammo off of a progressive press. I bought a used LnL AP (early model just after the Projector press) from another Saubier member, one of Rems friends. Had it set up with 5 forming dies and realized just how much effort it takes to form that many cases. Seldom use it for case forming.

So with it just sitting there, I decided to load off of it with low expectations. This older model did give me some fits, mostly the priming station and ejection. Eventually I found out that Hornady made upgrade kits so my press would have nearly all the same features. So I got every single upgrade most I had to pay for some I didn’t. And what a huge difference it made! I still use my single stage just because it was my first press and something about a single stage is near to my heart… BUT I use the heck out of my AP and totally love it.

Throwing powder charges with the powders that I use is nearly perfect, spot on and for whatever reason is better than I do with the same PM but with the hand crank in the stand by itself. I load 38 different rounds off of the AP from a 17 squirrel to 45 colt very accurately and painlessly with fast change overs.

The PTX is probably my biggest complaint, sometimes sticking to the case mouth even after polishing it up. Also they don’t make one for my 32 ACP so I had a very nice custom PTX made up for that one. I have every bullet feeder die Hornady makes plus several MrBF dies from DAA. One of which I modified for 32 ACP. Bullet feeder is a must when you have severe arthritis in your hands and fingers! Especially for the tiny 17 and even 32 caliber which I call almost round balls lol

I also use a printed case feeder that I really enjoy and has been functioning, performing and lasting way longer than I expected it to without any issues.

Also use the hornady control panel deluxe but I can’t hear the beeping which causes family disputes because everyone else thinks they can hear it from any other room of the house. But it is a helpful reminder for low powder and primers. I watch the red lights. I have both of their COP dies and never ever use them.

Recently had a big bulk box of Remington 50 gr (discontinued) flat based bullets. Started loading them in a 5.56x45 and they would fall off… not sure how I got to this point (probably Ray) but I ended up calling NOE and ordering his expander and the Lee die for it. Other than hogging up a station and needing a crimp die to bring the mouth back to the bullet, this thing is fabulous and although I cannot prove it (yet) I have very good reason to believe that it may aid in loading even more accurate ammo by it’s design. I actually bought it for two needs, this FB bullet issue and for the 22 TCM. I’m telling you the Hornady 22 TCM expander is a total POS in my books and it’s so darn close to the NOE design that it could have been the best… Sad! And I called Hornady about this and also redesigning the PTX and only imagine I got the dumb look on the other end of the phone. Ended up also loading these bullets in the 221 FB, and 222 using that NOE expander.

Speaking of Hornady CS they have been very awesome over the years with any issues I’ve ever had with my presses and I’m very pleased.

Lastly you need a light from KMS Squared (I wouldn’t bother with any of the others). And also check out InLine Fabrication for some awesome upgrades. The bin box/bracket design is superior to the factory design as well as the articulating bin box arm.

Extra primer tubes and the Hornady primer tube filler are a must because you go through 100 in no time flat

There ya go way more info than you wanted. I have many hours of time spent on mine, the kids can’t keep up shooting as fast as I can load. My biggest issue is shooting testing out loads due to not getting around like I use to speaking of which my typing finger is about to give out now lol

A small 1” very nice quality paint brush will be your best friend ever (I use to use canned air but quit due to the cost).

Last edited by GLWenzl; 12-29-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys!
Old 12-29-2021, 06:30 PM

Tried the LNL but hated the primer seating function and I did not consider the powder measure reliable. Put it on an auction site and good riddance. Dillon always worked better for me but I dumped them also due to priming issues. All I use now is a Forster Co Ax and a RCBS Rock Chucker. I would not let price be deciding factor in getting what you really want.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:39 PM

Default LnL

I have a couple of Lock & Load bushings / inserts free to whoever wants them. Only cost is postage. PM me with address.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member